Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Things look good. Hopefully you get that plow on by tomorrow.
With regards to the mowers being close to you and having run a bunch of different mowers my choice would be the vantage 52". They are quick and easy to get around. The bagging options are not great.
For dethatching we run a dethatcher on a vantage and bag as you go as well as on a zturn same thing. For clean ups we use both.
When starting out we did what you were talking about bought a walker for mostly clean ups. It's a waste of money. great mowers but to only use for clean ups is not worth it.
Best advice is any equipment you buy make sure you can use it as many hours as possible to help recover the costs.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You make a good point with the walkers. I might not buy one. But the reason I don't want only a vantage is because I don't really like the trac vacs/peco vacs, had bad experiences with my buddys which isnt maintained so that's part of the reason. But they can be a pain to get off the mower where as the exmark baggers come off easily. And if something goes wrong with the trac vac motor, youre held up until its fixed.

As I posted in the MN thread on plowsite, mounts on. Wiring is impossible. My grandpa helped me with it this afternoon and neither of us could get it set up. And he has a older western on a truck of his that he uses to plow their driveway at home.

What is your full guys' set up/fleet? I haven't seen any pictures on here or anything and was just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick update.
Got the plow mounts installed. Wiring is another story. Had Plow World in E. Bethel, MN install it. Dropped it off at about 10am Friday and they worked through the night until 2am Saturday (Dec 8, storm was coming Saturday night) and they had it done. They were insanely busy with installs & w/e else but they got my truck done and my plow works great (KNOCK ON WOOD!!).

I had a couple issues, was backing into one of the banks I do, drive thru lanes (very slow, 2-3mph) and tapped my driver's side passenger door on one of the concrete posts, small dent and thank God I still have the moldings on otherwise I would've scratched the paint.
Got stuck twice. First one was on this *****'s (she doesn't stop complaining) driveway, there's a slab that goes to the side and I was pushing the snow to the side and 3 of four wheels came off the concrete. Thankfully there was a guy a couple doors down that was plowing and pulled me out. Ran over one of her shrubs in the process. When this client is that much of a complainer, I don't feel bad whatsoever.

Other time was on a different driveway, rear wheels in the curb and one in the grass, called a buddy and he said to use a rag or towel and it'll work guaranteed, sure as hell it did, a 12"x12" rag under one of my tires.
I had the cotter pin on the bolt that holds the hydraulic lift cylinder to the frame of the plow, fall out. I couldn't lift the plow. Tried running it up a pile but no use. Countryside was a half mile to the west. But when I tried to leave the lot, the plow would fold forward, and I wasn't going anywhere, the city plow then came by and I was able to make it over the pile and went down the road & highway on the shoulder with my rotator lights on and was able to make it to the dealership at about 430am and they were able to lift it up with a jack and put the bolt & cotter pin back in.

And the worst of it that really pisses me off is this fat bastard (normally I talk with this wife for all services) that got all pissed and called me this morning because I pushed the snow onto the yard and tore up the turf a little bit (it's almost impossible for it to not happen,especially when there's a ft of snow) and supposedly hit an irrigation head (yeah right) and wrecked a bush, which may have happened but he wants me to backdrag all the snow from now on and push it along the curb rather than on the lawn and he made up some story about how there's an HOA (doubtful, if there was, there would be one contractor for the whole neighborhood) and to look around next time I come through and see where all the snow is on the other houses, I politely told him that everyone else is shoveling/snow blowing their own driveway and the location of where the snow is placed is going to be different than plowing it. He then said that there are 35 other houses in the neighborhood that want my company to do the work, which is all a lie. He then tries to say that when we trimmed the shrubs, that we cut a line for their Halloween decoration lights. There is no way that is possible as I remember the exact date when that was done, which was Sept 24th. Idk about you guys but in my area decorations for Halloween aren't out in Sept. I mow a [closed, vacant] commercial property for him and he likes to try to boss me around on that place, he fails. That's his personality I'm pretty sure, my guess is he is insecure about something.

It's been a good learning experience to say the least!

Plow.

My rotator
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People came down to the wire with clean ups this year. Did this one in the snow on Friday afternoon while my truck was at Plow World, my grandpa let me use his Chevy half ton for this one. Not exactly happy that my Metro & bagger had to be put away all dirty but this client was happy it got done and will go with my company in the future.

My teacher bought a dustless paver saw and brought it in to show it off to us

We have snow in the forecast for Wed-Thurs so I'll get some daylight pics of my truck hooked up to my plow for yall.
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

dude nice work! do you do alot of masonry?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gotta love doing cleanups in the snow.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They suck! Everything is soaking wet, mowers, baggers, everything gets full of crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just turned in my final assignment for this semester via the D2L online! Definitely happy to be done for a few weeks to get my mind off school for a little bit! 2 classes left and I'll finally graduate!! 19 credits this semester, it was rough, especially because one class (irrigation) was started in Oct (golf course guys get back from their internships early Oct) so we went through everything twice as fast as normal.

Talk about stress the past two weeks! Time for a beer and then go to bed and wake up at 4am to hook up my plow and push snow, if we have enough that is...we'll see what this storm does.
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Taking some time to catch up on lawnsite in between plowing, finished the 1" properties earlier and we're supposed to receive another .5-1" this late morning/afternoon. A shot from this morning.

I love the look of a cleanly plowed lot.
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Good work JContracting. Everything looks good! Keep pushing in school and get that degree,im glad I did. You have any plans to get a bigger truck and/or dump. Those turf stripes looked good too...im a sucker for great looking stripes

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws