Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Now that we've crossed into the new year I can see myself walking on the stage at graduation, only a few months away! I only have one actual class left, and then a second "internship" class which I can use my own company for. Did you get an Associate's also? I see you have built up a good amount of equipment based on your sig. How old are you? If you don't mind.

If things go very well this year and I'm able to get 30-35 more full service landscape maint. clients (shooting for 20 by the end of May), and buy a house with some land around it that's relatively close to where I live now (parents) and somewhat still near my clients (priority for me, after paying off my plow, one student loan that I had to take a personal loan out for in fall 2011, it's a long story, but that has just short of $1900 left on it and I'll pay that one off this spring, and a couple credit cards), I also want to buy a new & bigger trailer (I'd love an enclosed but maybe an open, not sure), sell both walk behinds and buy a Lazer Z w/ the Exmark bagger system on it.
If I'm able to secure some more large installs and I can pay off some more student loans as well as pay down more on my truck. Then I'd buy an F350 Dump most likely, my grandpa does have a 95 7.3 F350 Dump that he doesn't really use much and maybe I'd buy that and get a leaf box on it and a leaf loader on my trailer's tongue.

I want to get a house of my own ASAP because my parents aren't exactly keen on all my equipment, plus my dirtbike and stuff and I really just want a place to call my own and I can take a step back and look at it all, house, shop, dirtbikes, truck, equipment and see that it's all mine! That'd be perfect, then I can finally see all this hard work paying off. Plus a good buddy of mine I go to school with (same age as me) that owns his own landscape company and works for his dad's large maintenance company just closed on a house on the 28th and I'm a little jealous, house with a 40x60 shop w/ concrete floors all on 3 acres just a few miles north from where he lives(ed) with his parents. I think I'm going to push hard to pay off student loans and such, to increase my chance of getting a loan for a house, then expand into more trucks and equipment like a skid (maybe) and a dump trailer, etc.

A daytime shot from last Friday.

From Christmas Day. Washed it all up. Needed to get the salt off. I did the same on Sunday also. I'm making it a habit, $3 or so a week in the winter to wash my truck isn't too expensive in the long run to keep it rust free. Plus, a clean truck is a happy truck and an even happier owner.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Seems like you have a good overall idea of the business and a good outlook. Im going to try and touch on a bunch of things you touched on and i hope i dont miss anything haha.
I do have my associates degree in landscape management and design and i took a bunch of business classes in addition.
Im 24 years old and had my company since 2007.
I do have a lot of equipment and I take pride in it looking good everyday. Every time i change the blades (2/3 weeks depending) i simple green degrease and wash my mowers, trailer etc. And i have all my mowers lettered somewhere with the company logo. I have a ton of stuff in the shop on the shelves. Mainly because when i see something on craigs list, garage sales, swapmeets etc. for a good deal i buy it even if i dont really need it (considering i have some extra money) because either someday I'll use it or after a year of having it and i dint use it, i sell it and make a couple dollars.
A new trailer is certainly on your personal preference. I bought an enclosed for the fact that its a 16' billboard when i drive. And in the winter , i keep it on site at a plow account and keep snow blowers, bagged salt, spreaders shovels and stuff in it and lock it up. An open trailer is easier to grab stuff from the road and in an enclosed it gets hot in there in the middle of summer.
I would definitely not sell both walkbehinds. You need one, hills, wet grass its lighter than a ztr. But again personal preference.
Dump truck is based on what you will use it for. I currently have a f250 ezdumper but im selling it next month and getting a f550 switch n go rolloff. If you have narrow streets in your area that something to keep in mind.
If you can buy a house awesome. I bought a shop instead because it was a deal and everything i own is inside. Its nice to get in the truck and go out when there is 6" on the ground haha
I saw you have a dirtbike. I rode ama for a short time. I have a Kawasaki250f.
I had a skidsteer (case1845c) sold it because i just didnt use it as much as i wanted. Im now looking for a walk behind skid for landscaping and tree work alike

Hope i talked about things you wanted me too haha

You can see my stuff online if your curious
www.everestlandscape.webs.com

GOOD LUCK MAN. Ill always be on lawnsite to chat grass, equipment and s%&t haha

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So we basically started our businesses at the same age. How old were you when you graduated with the Associate's? What has been your best moves with advertising?

I took accounting & finance classes in high school (not exactly in depth but you get the gist of things) and I also took them in college when I was at UND. I do plan on taking a couple more accounting classes this semester also, part of me wants to pursue an Associate's degree in it (my current school offers it) but part of me wants to be done with school and continually build the business. Not sure what I want to do.

I'd get one of the ez dump inserts or w/e but my truck is a personal truck and use it for more than just work so a dump insert would be in the way every weekend when I want to put my dirtbike in the bed or water tank & generator when I take the toy hauler to the races.

When I buy a house it'll have a shop building whether I run the business out of it or not. Heated and with a drain would be ideal, everything can be washed right after snow storms! Plus I can throw parties in a warm area in the winter without messing up my house! Lol.
Having somewhere to haul landscape waste, ie. rock, mulch, dirt, grass, leaves, w/e would be perfect because I can use it as fill to build a motocross track at my house

The reason I want to offload the WB's is mainly financial, for another grand or 2 on top of what I'm asking for the mowers I can buy a used ZTR w/ bagger. I only have one account that has a hill, however that could very well change next year! But storage wise and my current situation with living at home still, having only one mower is easier to manage than 2.

I really want an enclosed, I can keep my spreader, sprayer, trimmers, blowers, mowers, everything all right in one spot and everything is there to access when I'm doing maintenance on properties. That way, I can save time & money with full service clients and spot treat broadleaf weeds (rather than blanket applications) when I'm there to mow once a month or whatever as well as have room for a pallet of granular fertilizer and can fertilize right after mowing, lessening the amount of trips to the property in a given week/month. The only thing holding me back is the initial cost of an enclosed.

Streets aren't narrow here so I'm good on that. I had been thinking about the idea of a dump trailer & leaf loader, similar to what FinerCuts from IA on here has, but then you have to have a second truck to pull mowers. A lot to think about that's for sure.

How old were you when you bought the shop? And did you buy a house or still live at home w/ parents or what?
Sorry for all the questions, I just have a lot to ask lol.
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont be sorry about the questions, no big deal. I cant type a long reply, i have somewhere to go but...here in jersey a 7x16 vnose trailer was close to $6,000. Check our Wagon master trailer's in GA, I got my trailer for $3,250 shipped to jersey and i love the trailer. I was 21 when i graduated, as far as advertising word of mouth is the biggest, my enclosed trailer, yard signs and some of my best work comes from having my cards at my supply yard. I bought my shop summer 2011 I was 23. I live with my mom, but she is moving in a year or two so im just going to buy the house from her. Sorry for the short response have to go to hockey. Talk to you you soon

2010 7x16 Enclosed
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a very good deal. How has the structure of the trailer held up with the constant use of going in & out with mowers and other equipment?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Its held up great. And it was broken into by some people who should die where they stand, but yea its holding up great. It has 16" on center floors and walls, undercoated chassis, led lights all around and mine is black so the actually switched all the screws to black heads so you cant see them.

2010 7x16 Enclosed
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a well built trailer. I think ill be buying one of those in the spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everest, do you have any interior pics of your trailer?
Exmark TTHP 36"

23 Years Old

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll try and find some or either take some. The brand is Freedom Trailers if you want to take a look at their site.

2010 7x16 Enclosed
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Wagon Master trailers dealership bookmarked for this spring when I buy one! Ill look up Freedom Trailers also.
Posted via Mobile Device