Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Time for an update!!
My new website has been live for almost a week. Check it out w w w . m j w c o n t r a c t i n g . c o m (I don't want it posted & a url because if a prospect searches my company name I'd rather not have them find my lawnsite posts.

Anyone else in MN hit up the green expo? It's not like we've been buy with snow
Couple pics.

My school's display

My teachers decided to bring the rock bubbler back to school and have it as a nice centerpiece in our Hort dept area.

A close up.

I follow a lot of threads on here, ETWman, Pro Turf (currently reading his as I type), I'll be starting to read RWF, Inc's as well. Nothing like reading about successful companies that are so different from eachother to get your mind ready for the upcoming season. And as ETWman had recommended, I bought the book "E Myth: Landscape Contract - why most landscape companies don't work and what to do about it" and have been reading it. It's worth my truck's weight in gold if not more. I also bought Green Side Up but haven't gotten to it yet.

The spring semester started this week, it's nice having put all the work in the past 3 semesters (19 credits last semester) as I only have one full class remaining which ends March 29 & then my "internship" which is an online class basically and I'm able to use my business for this, which goes from Apr 1 - May 10th or some time around that and then I'll graduate!! Very excited!
Since there's been no snow I basically go to class, then the gym for an hr or two, and work "on" my business, handling the accounting for taxes, read up on threads on here, continue reading my books, and get my advertising ready for this spring. As pro turf stated in the quote I have in my signature, I'm trying to find what I'm good at, for sure maintenance (looking to expand a lot within full service maint.), my goal for this upcoming season is to have 1 full time employee and have at least one landscape install (be it softscape or hardscape) per week so I can figure out what I like to do better within installs, I'd also like to get a little more into irrigation, I did some maint/repairs/adjustments last year and the profit was great and it's pretty easy work, especially on hot day. I'd also like to buy a compressor, it was a stressful mess trying to get all my blowouts done by someone else and schedule it all on the same day basically :insane:. I hated it and I ended up losing a client because he waited until the last minute and I couldn't find anyone willing to go get it done. Live & learn...
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

Last edited by JContracting; 01-18-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your website looks real good man, I know what you're saying about the snow I'm not getting any either but I guess it's more then last year.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. I know I need to get a picture of myself on the "about" page but it's somewhat hard to find a good spot for a picture when there's no leaves on the trees, etc. Where are you located?
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Thanks. I know I need to get a picture of myself on the "about" page but it's somewhat hard to find a good spot for a picture when there's no leaves on the trees, etc. Where are you located?
Yeah, with everything being bare it will be hard to do.I'm actually in PA but not getting much snow here either.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Plus I need to buy some company polos before I get a picture on there, thankfully it's not going to be busy for a couple weeks.
Looks like this will be my 614th post on lawnsite.
Here's why 614 is significant, mainly because it's the date of my birthday, and when I moved up to big bikes in 08 I chose that as my number.

Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We finally got snow!! It was going to be iffy as it started with freezing rain/sleet but the temps stayed at 31 and we have plowable snow for the first time in a month! Heading out in about 20 min.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Love this thread man, Im 19 been in business for a year and it sure is Nice to see other young guys being successful in this industry.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks man!
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you do for services?
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've had 2 events since Friday, 2.5" Friday night/Sat morn & then again last night we got 1.25". Looks like we're forecast for 2-4" or 1-2", NWS has changed several times but we are still under a winter weather advisory. Hopefully it'll be done by 4am so it won't mess up my route too much and opening times for the commercial clients. Here are some pictures from recent events.

This one is from last Sunday night. A very quiet road in a commercial area near one of the banks I plow.

Took this one today. I'll be finally getting truck graphics this spring and will be repainting the front of my plow and putting graphics on that also!

Hard to see but I love how a freshly plowed lot looks!

Different lot.

I like plowing but hate what it does to my once perfect truck!!! Put a couple small dents in the drivers side passenger door right behind the molding and right below the fuel fill behind the molding, tapped the concrete post in a bank drive up at about half a mile an hr. An auto body shop quoted me $1600 but I now know a guy that'll do it for $400-$500.
And to top it off, I was salting the sidewalks at a bank I do earlier this week and it was about 6:30am (we got freezing rain that night) and all the sudden I hear a bump noise and look over at my truck and one of the girls that works there had arrived and she hit ice that I hadn't salted yet and slid into my truck. Exchanged info (she's about my age and cute too ), it was dark and I was in a rush and I was sick (still am) and didn't really see how much damage her car had, couldn't have been too bad, she was maybe going 2-3mph and visually I saw no damage except a small dent on the driver side of my rear bumper, now that I got a better look at it yesterday, that side of the bumper is bent in and there's hardly a gap between the bed and bumper and the passenger side has a large gap. So now I'll have to get that fixed. Kinda bummed, was hoping to tell her casually that nothing is wrong with my truck and hopefully there isn't too much damage to her car but I have to file a claim against her.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old