Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Allright looks like i've got 3 options to avoid the trimmers. I think i'm going to demo the ferris first. If that doesn't work i can always try with a pushmower or maybe a tow-behind trailmower behind my atv or ztr. Appreciate your help guys. Always welcome if you have more/other opinions/experiences. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwright238 View Post
So spend 15K on the best instead of spending 30K a year in labor to run trimmers while the zero-turn money makers are sitting still. One ditch, no. Guys living in mountain regions, its a no brainer!
I know I'm new on here, and I'm sure you know quite a bit, but you don't seem very convincing.

I've seen your videos, and the mower is impressive, but $15K impressive? no. you need to make production costs less, or something so you can make it a more viable option for people. the guy said plain as day, he only has one side of one ditch his ztr can't mow, and it's only because of a fence.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgium View Post
Allright looks like i've got 3 options to avoid the trimmers. I think i'm going to demo the ferris first. If that doesn't work i can always try with a pushmower or maybe a tow-behind trailmower behind my atv or ztr. Appreciate your help guys. Always welcome if you have more/other opinions/experiences. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
What abt removing handle from 21" & tie short rope from corner to corner where handle was mounted, then tie desired length to center of that. Push mower down & pull back up. When i was a kid my grandfather did this on a hill at his house. U could prob leave handle on with rope tied to base of handle, to line mower up for next pass when u get it back to the top. Also seen this done in Niagra Falls with mowers that floated (no wheels or handle)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

when I worked for a hotel that had a couple fairly steep hills, I mowed them with a 22" craftsman self propelled. it wasn't the safest way, given it was probably a 40 degree slope in many spots, but it was way quicker than a trimmer.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the idea but the only problem is the ditch is too long and i can't stand on top of it because of the fence:-s and i think i can be way faster with a string trimmer than pulling the mower up and down because the ditch isn't that wide; it's just steep and long. None the less, i really appreciate everyone's help (even from the guy with the r/c mower, he also just wants to get new clients :-) )
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would keep using the trimmer and just raise my price.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Theres a vid on YT of a guy mowing a super steep slope with a Scag WB with dual drive wheels. I couldnt find it unfortunately but...
Genius.....http://youtu.be/DN61pO94y-o
Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Spray a plant growth regulator and you will probably only have to trim it once every 6 weeks or so. For the area you are talking about the PGR will probably work out cheaper when you consider the wear and tear on a piece of equip and the man hours spent.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensgate7 View Post
Spray a plant growth regulator and you will probably only have to trim it once every 6 weeks or so. For the area you are talking about the PGR will probably work out cheaper when you consider the wear and tear on a piece of equip and the man hours spent.
That is a great idea!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Theres a vid on YT of a guy mowing a super steep slope with a Scag WB with dual drive wheels. I couldnt find it unfortunately but...
Genius.....http://youtu.be/DN61pO94y-o

This is kinda what I was talking about but going the other direction on the hill.