Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Symptoms of Over Watering

The grass in the lawn of one of my neighbors looks "strange". This is a relatively new construction and the lawn was put in by the same guy that put in my lawn, using the same seed. The only difference is that my neighbor put in a sprinkler system, and didn't buy any extra topsoil, so the landscape guy concentrated most of the topsoil in the front portion of the guy's yard, which is where his grass looks really strange.

Our lawns look nothing alike. My grass is pretty much green, except for some brown spots, and looks like normal grass. My neighbors grass is yellow and looks very "stalky", if that makes sense. It almost looks like it would hurt your feet walking on it. The blend is called Spartan Grade A, which is 40% bluegrass, 40% fescue and rye. I'm not sure if the fescue in the blend is the only grass that's growing or what, but I've never seen anything like it.

My neighbor waters his lawn regularly, whereas I haven't watered mine since last fall. I'm just curious what some symptoms would be of overwatering. Growing up on a farm, I know that after a heavy rain, crops in an area with standing water would tend to wilt and turn yellow. Could this guy be watering too much.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All depends on whether the soil breaths in between waterings... stalkyness occurs in my mind when the grass is allowed to grow too tall before it is cut too short... are you looking at actual stalks with the leaves all sheared off and only the yellowish sheath showing???
Old 06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another possibility is that the turf mixture has a greater amount of rye grass (sacrificial) to shade the tender shoots of real grass. Any idea what type of seed was put down.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how much you'll be able to tell from these pictures as I shot them from my driveway. I've attached a couple of the guy's yard, and a couple of my yard. It's supposedly the same blend. It's called Spartan Grade A. It's 40% Bluegrass, 3 different types, 15% Chewing Fescue, 25% Creeping Red Fescue and 20% Perennial Rye Grass, http://www.seedsolutions.com/products_spartan.aspx

He has let it grow kind of tall a couple of times, but not absurdly tall. It's always looked very stalky & yellow, and has never looked like my grass. I think he waters it pretty much every day, which I think is simply way too much. I don't know how long he's letting his sprinklers run, but I don't think he's putting down an inch every day, or anything like that. But he may be watering it just as often as he was right after it was seeded, which I think is a mistake.

He was asking me about it yesterday, and I would like to be able to give him some decent advice if he ever asks again. I asked if he had ever put any fertilizer on it, and he has a guy that lives in our neighborhood that has a ProGreen operation doing something to it, but I'm not sure what.

I'll try to get some better pictures so you can clearly see what I'm talking about.

We live in Central Michigan, btw, and I think this blend was formulated at Michigan State, which supposedly has one of the premier turf programs in the country.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you fertilizing your lawn and him not doing so to his? Also yes over watering can lend itself to lead to chlorotic lawns IMHO as you can essentially be washing away the elements that you applied or not allowing the lawn to breath and keeping the pores filled with water.

But looking at the photos and just guessing I would say you have applied a fertilizer and he has not.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why is there a distinct dividing line about midway through the lawn, out to the curb?? The picture with the bird in it...

If that line is where the topsoil quit and the rest is gravely sand or mineral clay, that might be the answer...
Old 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Why is there a distinct dividing line about midway through the lawn, out to the curb?? The picture with the bird in it...

If that line is where the topsoil quit and the rest is gravely sand or mineral clay, that might be the answer...
The lines you're seeing are where his lawn ends and the lawns of the people living on either side of him begin. I guess it might be safe to assume that's his topsoil boundary, but it's also his watering boundary. My topsoil would have come from the same place, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same dirt.

And to answser Landscape Poet, I have fertilized my lawn once this year towards the end of April with Lesco 18-24-12 starter fertilizer. My neighbor has a ProGreen guy in our neighborhood taking care of his lawn, so I'm assuming they have applied fertilizer. The same guy is also taking care of one of the lawns you can see in the photographs where the grass is green.

I took a couple of pictures this morning on my way in to work. I'll post them later this evening. It did look like he had watered this morning. This is a relatively new lawn, but it's been in longer than mine, which was seeded the first week of October last year. My lawn has actually come along much better than I was anticipating just a couple months ago.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

A couple more pictures of my neighbor's grass.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
Could this guy be watering too much.
You already answered your own question.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

These new pictures are showing the signs of puddling and soon the grass will begin to thin out... The lack of color could easily be a chlorosis caused by N deprivation due to anaerobic conditions...