Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM
Banned

You pay 2 guys and yourself for only 60 yards? I aint buyin it.

And these guys are lazy. 1 guy can do 60 by himself in a week.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
My 2 man lawn crew has it pretty good. But sometimes they don't finish all the lawns at the end of the week making me look bad and lose money. I know 2 guys can cut my 60 yrds in 4 days, but most of the time they fall short, by a few. So i made a new rule that if they don't finish the lawn list by friday they have to work sat. I'm deffinately not a slave driver by any means but i just don't think there working hard enough and long enough during the week knowing that i've been catering to there weekends off. So i made a rule that they have to work weekends if they don't finish the lawns , they will get that note in the morning. I can understand if it rains 3 days a week then it will be hard to finish, I understand them not being able to finish then. What do you guys do about this issue with your mowing crews? Do you have the same problem or do you make them work weekends also to finish there work.
Start the mowing route on Monday, have it done by Thursday night. If they don't have a clean trip, they can finish Friday before noon and then start the side work.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
That is a tough spot depending on your people. I know when my crews used to be out mowing that there was a lot of wasted time spent in gas stations, texting, smoke breaks, etc. I would switch between my three crews and try to keep everyone on there heels. Employees will never be a quick as you or I will be. That is just part of it. It is our money and the faster we can get it done the more money we can make doing something else. They are getting paid by the hour so the longer they take to complete there jobs the more money they make and less the company makes. I considered doing a pay per job type of system. They get x amount on a certain account and it has to be approved by manager or me before they get paid that week. If it is not done to my specs they redo till correct. This puts them in our shoes as the faster they get done the more money per hour they make or more free time they have to do whatever. My main concern was always quality control. If you run the crew with them that wont be a issue. When I do go back to having a crew again I am going to pay them per job. I think it is fair to everyone involved if done right.
Here is what I have thought, I wonder if it's practical. I know what it takes me time wise to finish a day. Let's say just for easy math it takes me 5 hours to do 10 lawns that particular day. So my crew then gets paid 5 hours for the day and maybe I give them an extra hour for things that come up. If they go over, that's on them. If they get done in 5 I still pay them for 6
Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrdc View Post
Here is what I have thought, I wonder if it's practical. I know what it takes me time wise to finish a day. Let's say just for easy math it takes me 5 hours to do 10 lawns that particular day. So my crew then gets paid 5 hours for the day and maybe I give them an extra hour for things that come up. If they go over, that's on them. If they get done in 5 I still pay them for 6
As long as they don't work 7 hrs and paid for 6 all looks good.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrdc View Post
Sorry but the real world doesn't work like that.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I was mowing, my guys had to fill out a log sheet every day. Time in/out. The daily log had all the jobs that needed to be done for the day. They were expected to get the days work done. They always got the work done. If they were slow to return on a day, I would look at the log sheet and see where they slacked and bust balls. Now I sub all my mowing out and do landscaping, yet I still have my sub fill out thee log sheet. It has helped my sub be more productive, because we discuss the times and I help him to speed up the production by giving suggestion on how to be more productive on a jobsite, ie: continuos trimming or same person does the same job on the same property each week. It makes a differance. And I expect Quality on every job, or they're gone.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

If you and one worker can get all of the mowing done in a 5 day week then there is no reason your crew can't be finished on Friday. Give them a route list for each day, If you have to, order the list from 1st job to last job to eliminate any extra drive time. They should know that each day they have to finish that route or they will have to finish it the next day plus that days route. I also like the idea of having them write down their start and stop time on each property that way you will be able to see any inconsistancies as to why it took them an extra 15 mins from the time they stop on one property to start of the next when you know it is only 5 mins down the street. Make them be accountable for their time management. Plus, by having them write it down they will be more aware of how much time they are wasting and what you are expecting of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only problem I see about employees writing down there time in/out is who is to say that is the actually time they got there and left. I would put some kind of gps on the trucks so you could track where they are and where they have been. Do not tell them it is on there and monitor it for a week or two and you will find out real quick what they are up to when you are not watching. May cost a few bucks but in the long run will save so much time it would be well worth the investment.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That does it! I am going to recommend we get a BS meter
what ever do you mean Charles?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
That is a tough spot depending on your people. I know when my crews used to be out mowing that there was a lot of wasted time spent in gas stations, texting, smoke breaks, etc. I would switch between my three crews and try to keep everyone on there heels. Employees will never be a quick as you or I will be. That is just part of it. It is our money and the faster we can get it done the more money we can make doing something else. They are getting paid by the hour so the longer they take to complete there jobs the more money they make and less the company makes. I considered doing a pay per job type of system. They get x amount on a certain account and it has to be approved by manager or me before they get paid that week. If it is not done to my specs they redo till correct. This puts them in our shoes as the faster they get done the more money per hour they make or more free time they have to do whatever. My main concern was always quality control. If you run the crew with them that wont be a issue. When I do go back to having a crew again I am going to pay them per job. I think it is fair to everyone involved if done right.

I've given this a lot of thought.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I think it could work.

This way the employees have some skin in the game and an incentive to keep their axxes in gear versus fritzing off and running up the clock.

An incredible amount of time can be peed away by employees in a days time.