Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I would make sure they stay busy but would shy away from offering a bonus if they get everything done by a certain time. If you do this the quality of work will go down and in no time you won't have a problem with them getting everything done in a few days because they will not have as much work to do.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this for real? For one i would love to have so many lawns that i would have to work 7 days a week. #2 you dont work with your guys to make sure that they are doing a great job? Telling them that they are gonna have to work weekends if they dont get the yards done is just going to sacrifice quality. They could care less about getting them done with quality if they are getting a set pay and their weekends are being jeopardized.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Is this for real? For one i would love to have so many lawns that i would have to work 7 days a week. #2 you dont work with your guys to make sure that they are doing a great job? Telling them that they are gonna have to work weekends if they dont get the yards done is just going to sacrifice quality. They could care less about getting them done with quality if they are getting a set pay and their weekends are being jeopardized.
So do you think the CEO and President of Boeing\GM\whatever company you want to pick, is down on the line with every employee every single day?

Seriously?

You guys do realize there a lot of companies out there with good\great employees that get their work done on time without sacrificing quality and the owner is NOT on the job site with them, don't you?

Must be all 1 -3 man outfits giving this guy advice.

You realize, that given proper training, oversight and information, you can actually get employees that will do almost or as good of work as the owner?

Or are you all micro-managers?

Maybe the reason you can't get more work is because you are unable or unwilling to delegate and trust people to do the work you train and expect of them.

I am flabbergasted at all you that think that quality is automatically going to tank if he is not on the crew with his employees every day, watching their every move, micro-managing the snot out of them.

As for the last part of your comment, seriously? Given proper training, information and oversight, there is no reason employees should not get work done in a set amount of time--regularly, with exceptions for weather.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

2 guys should be able to mow 60 lawns in 4 days with no problem without rain.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
2 guys should be able to mow 60 lawns in 4 days with no problem without rain.
I have 5 guys on my crew and can only get 8-10 done in a week

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
So do you think the CEO and President of Boeing\GM\whatever company you want to pick, is down on the line with every employee every single day?

Seriously?

You guys do realize there a lot of companies out there with good\great employees that get their work done on time without sacrificing quality and the owner is NOT on the job site with them, don't you?

Must be all 1 -3 man outfits giving this guy advice.

You realize, that given proper training, oversight and information, you can actually get employees that will do almost or as good of work as the owner?

Or are you all micro-managers?

Maybe the reason you can't get more work is because you are unable or unwilling to delegate and trust people to do the work you train and expect of them.

I am flabbergasted at all you that think that quality is automatically going to tank if he is not on the crew with his employees every day, watching their every move, micro-managing the snot out of them.

As for the last part of your comment, seriously? Given proper training, information and oversight, there is no reason employees should not get work done in a set amount of time--regularly, with exceptions for weather.
I agree with you 100%, most people don't think with a managment mentality, but that they are the only one that can do it right. I am looking forward to the day I can walk away from my operation for a week and come back to see no changes in operation. It isn't going to be overnight and takes alot of personal and business growth but can be done. Back to the topic at hand, 60 average properties should be done in a weeks time if not 4 days leaving friday to pick up as a rain or extra work day. Letting the guys know that the properties pay X dollars and the get performed to this level of quality, if you can't do it during the week then you'll be here on Saturday.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS.inc View Post
15 lawns should be done by 1 or 2pm. I cut 42 today with my third guy showing up at 11pm.... These are not small lawns. 20 plus are a acre plus.... How u make money like that?2 Zs with one guy whipping. We do 135 every week in 4 days. Some weeks 2 guys will get it done in 45 hrs. You need to move faster. Plan and simple.....
Very true!!! Light a fire under your help!
When I was a young man/boy (40 years ago) working for a crew, we started our first house at exactly 7 a.m. by 1 p.m. we had at least 15 yards done. We where paid a weekly salary 25 yards a day, five days a week if it rained we would have to work even harder to try to get caught up or work Saturday. Same pay whether we did the work in 6 or 10 hours in a day, but if quality suffered he made us redo the yard. Guys are soft these days if a three man crew can't get 35-40 account done in a day. The equipment is ten times as efficient as it was back then.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/15...n-On-Saturday/
Stihl FS110R- Edger/135* Bar Hedge trimmer
HS 81T
Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Stihl 361 25" bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

My 3 man crew mows 30 yards per day Monday-Friday and all get paid by the day. I train them when they are hired and teach the crew leader what my expectations are. Quality assurance is built in, if there is a complaint the crew will start the next day at that property before they start the yards for that day. This is by far the best way I have found to pay. When I paid by the hour I always had to stay on them about there hours. Paying by the job is ok too, but paying by the day is what me and my guys like the most. They rarely work more than 40 hours per week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

WTF?

Not Work on weekends?

If your guys are hourly, then they ought to want to work on the weekends-overtime rules!

I worked weekends for about 8-10 years and then stopped for a couple of years and have been back at it for the last 2 years-

I've not had anyone tell me they did not want to work on most all weekends-
Closed Thread