Stihl FS110R- string
Stihl 290 Farm Boss 20" bar
Poulan Pro 16" bar
Poulan Pro 18" Bar
Stihl HT101 Pole Saw
Stihl MM55
Stihl BG86
Stihl BR550
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300- 2350 Loader w/ toothbar, 60" Kioti Aerator, 48" dethatcher, 60" back blade, 48" box blade, 3PTH pallet forks/carry all, 48" lawn roller
Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think i am going about this completely wrong... Someone said they can do 135 lawns in 4 days with two people???

If you work four 8 hour days with NO LUNCH and NO DRIVETIME that puts you at 14.2 minutes a lawn.. No figure it say 5 minutes average drivetime, and thats down to 9.2 minutes per lawn, you can barely even unload, start the mower, and then load up again in that amount of time.

wow it takes me 4 days to do 24 of my accounts. and thats with me and one other guy hustling all day
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
So do you think the CEO and President of Boeing\GM\whatever company you want to pick, is down on the line with every employee every single day?

Seriously?

You guys do realize there a lot of companies out there with good\great employees that get their work done on time without sacrificing quality and the owner is NOT on the job site with them, don't you?

Must be all 1 -3 man outfits giving this guy advice.

You realize, that given proper training, oversight and information, you can actually get employees that will do almost or as good of work as the owner?

Or are you all micro-managers?

Maybe the reason you can't get more work is because you are unable or unwilling to delegate and trust people to do the work you train and expect of them.

I am flabbergasted at all you that think that quality is automatically going to tank if he is not on the crew with his employees every day, watching their every move, micro-managing the snot out of them.

As for the last part of your comment, seriously? Given proper training, information and oversight, there is no reason employees should not get work done in a set amount of time--regularly, with exceptions for weather.
Seriously? Comparing ceo's and presidents of companies like Boeing and GM to owners of a seasonal lawncare/landscaping business ? Thats a joke. Your way off your rocker if you think that has any bearing to the reality of this thread. Many areas in this country is not year around in grass cutting. So when you guys are defending against not racking up the dollars in the PRIME months of our business to preserve your weekends off maybe your satisfied with not maximizing your profits. As for me I'm just starting out which is clearly why i said i would love to work 7 days a week for a FEW months before cutting grass is halted for the fall/winter months.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Seriously? Comparing ceo's and presidents of companies like Boeing and GM to owners of a seasonal lawncare/landscaping business ? Thats a joke. Your way off your rocker if you think that has any bearing to the reality of this thread. Many areas in this country is not year around in grass cutting. So when you guys are defending against not racking up the dollars in the PRIME months of our business to preserve your weekends off maybe your satisfied with not maximizing your profits. As for me I'm just starting out which is clearly why i said i would love to work 7 days a week for a FEW months before cutting grass is halted for the fall/winter months.
Yes, dead serious. You're the one that is off your rocker if you think differently.

Anything else and you're doing a disservice to yourself and your family, because it is only a job and not a business.

I am in one of those areas that TURF CARE is not a year round business. But since all you're doing is grass cutting, then it doesn't make a difference. I treat my business as just that, a business, not a hobby. And if you don't understand my post, you'll never have more than a job as a grass cutter. While I manage my business of 80 years, with 6-15 employees throughout the year.

Having time off is necessary, as Charles and the others mentioned. To you and to your family. You only live once, and if you can find me someone that on their death bed or tombstone saying "If only I had worked more" then I'll eat my words.

But instead of ripping me for what I and others are saying, why don't you get off your high horse and think about it for a bit. Like I said, my business is 80 years old, I've owned it for 10, working in it for 30. It was my dad's before that. Many others have successful businesses with employees on LS. Listen instead of thinking you have all the answers.

Lord willing, the end of June\beginning of July I plan on going to the Canadian Rockies for 2 weeks with my family. Because I trust my employees. In the past, I have been blessed enough to visit Yellowstone area for a couple weeks; Southwest for a couple weeks; Northeast for 10 days or so; Florida for 10 days. All with my family, while my employees did the work. And quality did not suffer. Sure, it's a lot of work before and after, but they are vacations that my kids, my wife, and I will never forget. I'm not an expert, but I have far more experience than most here that are telling the OP that there is no way he can have his guys maintain quality without micromanaging them being on site constantly. Or that weekends should be a time for everyone to relax.

Whatever, I'm trying to help with my real life experience. Take it for what it's worth. I don't care what you do.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I think i am going about this completely wrong... Someone said they can do 135 lawns in 4 days with two people???

If you work four 8 hour days with NO LUNCH and NO DRIVETIME that puts you at 14.2 minutes a lawn.. No figure it say 5 minutes average drivetime, and thats down to 9.2 minutes per lawn, you can barely even unload, start the mower, and then load up again in that amount of time.

wow it takes me 4 days to do 24 of my accounts. and thats with me and one other guy hustling all day
I was guessing a bunch of these lawns were neighbors...unload once to do 5 or 6 lawns...but I don't know, just guessing. I know I've worked a bunch of Saturdays this season, but sat around on alot of Tuesdays watching the rain fall. No work today due to rain so I'll work my first Sunday of the season tomorrow. The grass doesn't cut itself becuse its the weekend. I try not to make a habit of working my whole weekend, sometimes it happens. It makes me enjoy my days off more
Old 06-02-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Me And two guys did 32lawns in less than 8hrs on Thursday. I also have one stop with 9 accounts we cut. We usually work 10hr days. Its very possible to do 135 accnts in 4days. Thts only 33laWns a day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ron, does the following quote sound familiar:

Looking to start a small lawn care company and need all the help I can get as far as advice!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We are obviously from 2 worlds. I would never take 2 weeks off in late june/early july and leave heaping work for others to do. You have the entire year to plan out a vacation, it shouldn't be while your in the thick of the season. Work before play. Bragging about being handed a business then talking about how you have all this vacation time isn't someone id look for advice from, thanks but no thanks. Hasn't even been 2 months into cutting season and your ready to get out the RV.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
We are obviously from 2 worlds. I would never take 2 weeks off in late june/early july and leave heaping work for others to do. You have the entire year to plan out a vacation, it shouldn't be while your in the thick of the season. Work before play. Bragging about being handed a business then talking about how you have all this vacation time isn't someone id look for advice from, thanks but no thanks. Hasn't even been 2 months into cutting season and your ready to get out the RV.
My girlfriend left me because I can't take 2 week vacations...but she costed me money whereas working was making me money.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We are obviously from 2 worlds. I would never take 2 weeks off in late june/early july and leave heaping work for others to do.

Yes, we are. I treat my business as just that, a business. It can and does run without me. It isn't a job.

You have the entire year to plan out a vacation, it shouldn't be while your in the thick of the season.

It isn't in the thick of the season. May and June would be the worst times. Or winter when it's snowing.

My kids are in school, do you think I should take them out of school to work around my schedule?

My family puts up with all kinds of crap during winter. Missed meals, screwed up holiday parties, me sleeping at any and all times of the day, running out the door when a customer calls, etc. Plans are pretty much non-existent during the winter, so the least I can do is make it up to them in the summer.

Work before play.

I agree. I work my butt off all winter long and through the spring so I can spend time with them.

Bragging about being handed a business then talking about how you have all this vacation time isn't someone id look for advice from,

Should have figured this was coming.

Yes, I was handed a business. At the point in time I handed a check to my father for the business, he handed me the business. So you're telling me that my business is so much different than what you say you are trying to build, but want to treat it like a job or hobby? You've got a lot to learn.

As for bragging, if you want to take it that way, fine. I was trying to give some background, but since you want to spin it differently, take it however you want.

I won't supply any advice to you anymore. At least the OP has enough humility to listen to everyone.

thanks but no thanks.

You're not welcome then.

Hasn't even been 2 months into cutting season and your ready to get out the RV.
Yes, I am. Those 18 hour days through most of May were bad enough. Busier spring than I've ever had. It was just like snow season.

FWIW, your math is rather off. This year mowing started in March, and since I'm not leaving until the end of June, it'll be about 3 1/2 months.

Good luck, I'll make sure to not give any more advice to you.
Closed Thread