Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
So you're saying the man shouldn't enjoy family time?

Like the man said, work to live not live to work!
If that aint working out for you........... work smarter.

I've worked the last 4 saturdays in a row and the last two sundays.
I'm working today to get two sprinkler systems back in operation, but have projects around the house to take care of tomorrow (sunday).
I'm not saying the guy shouldn't enjoy his family time, but if he needs Saturdays off then he's in the wrong business. And I'll bet he works another job during the winter. I started on April 1 1995 and haven't had to work outside the business since late September 1996 and I have every winter off. DO THE BUSINESS THE RIGHT WAY.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Seriously? Comparing ceo's and presidents of companies like Boeing and GM to owners of a seasonal lawncare/landscaping business ? Thats a joke. Your way off your rocker if you think that has any bearing to the reality of this thread. Many areas in this country is not year around in grass cutting. So when you guys are defending against not racking up the dollars in the PRIME months of our business to preserve your weekends off maybe your satisfied with not maximizing your profits. As for me I'm just starting out which is clearly why i said i would love to work 7 days a week for a FEW months before cutting grass is halted for the fall/winter months.
I agree with this and I run my business the same way. We get January and Febuary off to take vacation.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I work with a guy and we cut 75 in 3days so u def should be able to do that. But I will say that we do 30 one day then 25 then 20 so. We start at 7 and work to 7:30 as well. Hope this helps

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I take the winters off and plow when the snow flies. I make killer money doing this. I also have 54 in one sub. Many are acre plus. All lake side. I think im doing this business rt. If I can save money, spend next to nothing in truck fuel, watch my kid grow, and not depend on any income over the 4 months I pretty much take off. Please don't try to lecture me on business. My company allowed my to get a Bach. Degree in bus. Ed. Paid in cash. when I had 75 lawns cut in 2.5 days. Bottom line is op guys need to work faster. The remarks on this site is why I post very little but read them all. Most, and I said most, have their head up their ass concerning this industry. Hence, why it has all but gone to hell in a hand bag. P.S. company record is 61 in a day. 4 guys. Tractors were only loaded 3 times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS.inc View Post
I take the winters off and plow when the snow flies. I make killer money doing this. I also have 54 in one sub. Many are acre plus. All lake side. I think im doing this business rt. If I can save money, spend next to nothing in truck fuel, watch my kid grow, and not depend on any income over the 4 months I pretty much take off. Please don't try to lecture me on business. My company allowed my to get a Bach. Degree in bus. Ed. Paid in cash. when I had 75 lawns cut in 2.5 days. Bottom line is op guys need to work faster. The remarks on this site is why I post very little but read them all. Most, and I said most, have their head up their ass concerning this industry. Hence, why it has all but gone to hell in a hand bag. P.S. company record is 61 in a day. 4 guys. Tractors were only loaded 3 times.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is what happens when you have a lot of small thinking part timers populate the site.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be forum members, just that a whole lot of them would do better if they talked less and listened more.
Treated their business more as a business and much less as a hobby.

Some times it almost makes me vomit at the incredibly immature and juvenile comments that get made.
I think to myself.............. "REALLY kids, really????"

If folks don't wish to consider themselves business owners thats fine by me. Keep your mouths shut then when the adults are discussing adult topics.

Lots of part timers and short timers that get into the industry ride it a couple years and then exit stage left because "dang, thats a lot of hard work".
Lawn and grounds care is so much more than just cutting the grass.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weekends, When are they? Every five days an at.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well said mark you don't leave much skin on your victims when they piss you off either
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok that makes more sense, sorry about that I just did not realize you had so many in one area, in that case I do more than 24 in four days.. I have one account that i do in three hours that has 22 lawns alone. I was just looking at it differently. You must have a very efficient route.

P.S- not sure if it was directed at me or not but I am not a part timer at this, this is my sole income and I would say i am living a very comfortable life, quite a bit higher than the state average income.
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lets get this right if your going to even attempt to break it down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Is this for real? For one i would love to have so many lawns that i would have to work 7 days a week. #2 you dont work with your guys to make sure that they are doing a great job? Telling them that they are gonna have to work weekends if they dont get the yards done is just going to sacrifice quality. They could care less about getting them done with quality if they are getting a set pay and their weekends are being jeopardized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
So do you think the CEO and President of Boeing\GM\whatever company you want to pick, is down on the line with every employee every single day?

Seriously?

You guys do realize there a lot of companies out there with good\great employees that get their work done on time without sacrificing quality and the owner is NOT on the job site with them, don't you?
Before or after being told they are going to risk having to work on the weekend?
Must be all 1 -3 man outfits giving this guy advice.
Coming from a guy who was handed a business from his father. nothing wrong with trying to work your butt off and make a name for "yourself".
You realize, that given proper training, oversight and information, you can actually get employees that will do almost or as good of work as the owner?
Pretty adamant about the employees working for you while you go on vaca. and take the weekends off.
Or are you all micro-managers?

Maybe the reason you can't get more work is because you are unable or unwilling to delegate and trust people to do the work you train and expect of them.
You just called it as it was, that I, like others on this site who are just starting out are 1-3 man crews. This statement is N/A.
I am flabbergasted at all you that think that quality is automatically going to tank if he is not on the crew with his employees every day, watching their every move, micro-managing the snot out of them.
[COLOR="red"] He wouldn't ahve to work with them everyday. He doesn't understand why his guys aren't finishing on time which is why being there from time to time would solve the issue.COLOR]
As for the last part of your comment, seriously? Given proper training, information and oversight, there is no reason employees should not get work done in a set amount of time--regularly, with exceptions for weather.

Now if you want to resume about telling me that taking off weekends and taking vacations as the business owner of a lawn care/landscaping company isn't wrong (which is what your telling me) than i have nothing left to say to you.

Last edited by RonWin; 06-02-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
This is what happens when you have a lot of small thinking part timers populate the site.
I'm not saying that they shouldn't be forum members, just that a whole lot of them would do better if they talked less and listened more.
Treated their business more as a business and much less as a hobby.

Some times it almost makes me vomit at the incredibly immature and juvenile comments that get made.
I think to myself.............. "REALLY kids, really????"

If folks don't wish to consider themselves business owners thats fine by me. Keep your mouths shut then when the adults are discussing adult topics.

Lots of part timers and short timers that get into the industry ride it a couple years and then exit stage left because "dang, thats a lot of hard work".
Lawn and grounds care is so much more than just cutting the grass.
Yeah, you're an old pro
Closed Thread