Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrdc View Post
I can send you all the info if you would like
hey man can you pm me details on installing a website?
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business
Old 06-22-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure thing...............
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Website

Website looks nice. We had our website re-done and it has paid off big. Websites are a key tool in this business. www.branchoutshrub.com
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Sponsor

I enjoyed checking out the website. It is clean and professional.

Two quick comments to make it perform better. First there are no Meta Keywords, these should really be added to each page. While they are less important that they used to be, Google still uses them. Second you should add some links to other local companies and to some national organizations that match your industry. Many people don't realize that outbound links like these can help your ranking.

Keep up the good work.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFlames View Post
Two quick comments to make it perform better. First there are no Meta Keywords, these should really be added to each page. While they are less important that they used to be, Google still uses them.
That is simply incorrect. I wrote a post on here 8 years ago that meta keywords are no longer used. Google hasn't used them in years, and even takes the time to repeatedly point out that they do not use them. Bing does use them, but for a different reason. It's one of their markers for identifying spammy, keyword-stuffed sites.

If you specifically want to tip your hands to your customers what exactly you're targeting, then by all means, take the time to do so. Obviously, a locally-targeted service site knows what their competition is targeting, but you get the gist. In fact, the meta keywords recently helped me easily point out the conflict of interest a landscape web site designer had with two of his competing clients as the keywords the developer used for each were the same or similar.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Very nice. Sent you a pm...
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 SD XLT 7.3PSD
6X16' Tandem axle trailer
5X8 BIG MAX trailer
Exmark Vantage 24/52
Bobcat Predator Pro 61" 26LC
Simplicity Legacy 60" Vanguard Diesel
Redmax EB7001, 7150, 7500
Stihl BG55, SH85
Echo SRM-210, SRM-225 (3), Dolmar 22C
(2) Echo PAS-265
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrdc View Post
Just launched my website this weekend and received my first customer today via craigslist. I am sure having a website gave me a certain amount of credibility, this particular customer checked out my CL add and then visited my site and put in an order for 6 yards of mulch. I am extremely happy with how my website turned out. www.dklawncare.com

Good for you dude!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
That is simply incorrect. I wrote a post on here 8 years ago that meta keywords are no longer used. Google hasn't used them in years, and even takes the time to repeatedly point out that they do not use them. Bing does use them, but for a different reason. It's one of their markers for identifying spammy, keyword-stuffed sites.

If you specifically want to tip your hands to your customers what exactly you're targeting, then by all means, take the time to do so. Obviously, a locally-targeted service site knows what their competition is targeting, but you get the gist. In fact, the meta keywords recently helped me easily point out the conflict of interest a landscape web site designer had with two of his competing clients as the keywords the developer used for each were the same or similar.
I understand your argument about keywords.

First, I agree you should never stuff keywords in your content or anywhere.

Putting in meta keywords and meta descriptions takes less than a minute. So long as google does not disclose their very elaborate algorithm and crawling code... and amazon continues to use meta keywords and descriptions on their pages, I will take the time.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFlames View Post
I understand your argument about keywords.

First, I agree you should never stuff keywords in your content or anywhere.

Putting in meta keywords and meta descriptions takes less than a minute. So long as google does not disclose their very elaborate algorithm and crawling code... and amazon continues to use meta keywords and descriptions on their pages, I will take the time.
Sorry to the OP for veering this thread off course...

No offense to you, GreyFlames, but I wasn't tabling an argument against meta keywords. I was saying what Google has specifically stated, and restated (years apart) that they do not pay attention to keywords and why I myself do not use them, but love when my competitors do. It's actually really easy to test it yourself, across the various engines. Google's algorithm is elaborate, but it's not magic and it is pretty testable, especially for the major components.

Also, I'd like to clarify that I wasn't referring to anything re: content keyword stuffing in and of itself. I meant that the meta keywords are used by (at least) Bing as a marker to help identify spam or less-than-white-hat sites. The meta keywords are matched up against other on and off-site markers and content keywords and cross-referenced (like the rest of the algorithms do). They are not used to elevate site authority, however they can be used to negate it (this is an easy test as well). If they used it to elevate, we'd be back where we were years ago with wild, wild west of SEO. But they're using it to negate shady SEO absolutely makes sense.

As for still using the tag, it just makes it easier for some of us who monitor our competition to scrape the meta keywords, so I'm all for them still using it as it is one of the fastest and easiest methods to get a competitive landscape snapshot to glance at whenever I pull the data. Now, if I'm helping someone out, there is absolutely zero chance I would advise them to implement them, so I guess we just agree to disagree on the strategy behind that. I did notice that at GreyFlames.com, you don't have any meta keywords in your own header. There are some references to the template company who made your site, so I gather you haven't finished adding your info to it?

Tony

Last edited by tonygreek; 08-01-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you mind sending me the info as well? I am not sure if a pm will go but my email is...

joshwinders@gmail(dot)com