Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 PM
fireman gus fireman gus is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Enid, Oklahoma
Posts: 512
Thought For The Day

Thomas Paine-"These are the times that try men's souls"

What do you think he is talking about?

I think he was talking directly to me. If it is not raining and storming, it is above normal in temperature. If a person is not complaining about work I haven't gotten yet, they want to talk about the price they are being charged. People call and ask when I am going to finish my second application of weed control knowing that the wind has been blowing steady 25-30 mph. As stated in an earlier thread my goal in business is to be a man of integrity and in all business transactions to be honest however it is hard at times. I tend to believe I am successful but... While writing this a lady called and wanted to know about 3 pallets of sod. When I told her the price and when I could get to it, her reply was "Do you know who I am and I don't like to be kept waiting"!

Well my rant is over. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
I mowed this one lawn for 4 weeks now on Friday mornings. It's for sale with open houses every Saturday. Well today the sprinkler had ran. I started in and the lady came out, and asked why I was mowing when the sprinkler was on early in the am. This was 930 am. I asked why it ran this Friday and not the others. She said it runs a day for three/third and went back inside. What's that mean? It runs today off for 3 then on again? It riddled me all day. I finished and chuckled as I drove away. Some days I can't stand people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 AM
J & D Greens's Avatar
J & D Greens J & D Greens is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: englewood, Colorado
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I mowed this one lawn for 4 weeks now on Friday mornings. It's for sale with open houses every Saturday. Well today the sprinkler had ran. I started in and the lady came out, and asked why I was mowing when the sprinkler was on early in the am. This was 930 am. I asked why it ran this Friday and not the others. She said it runs a day for three/third and went back inside. What's that mean? It runs today off for 3 then on again? It riddled me all day. I finished and chuckled as I drove away. Some days I can't stand people.
Posted via Mobile Device
She has her system set for every third day, so it will rotate to Friday every once in a while. I would suggest to her to have her system set on the weekday schedule making sure that it never waters on Friday. What can a guy do? They are lucky you got it cut for them at all.
__________________
J&D/Greens
My picture thread;
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=342687
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Swampy's Avatar
Swampy Swampy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman gus View Post
Thomas Paine-"These are the times that try men's souls"

What do you think he is talking about?

I think he was talking directly to me. If it is not raining and storming, it is above normal in temperature. If a person is not complaining about work I haven't gotten yet, they want to talk about the price they are being charged. People call and ask when I am going to finish my second application of weed control knowing that the wind has been blowing steady 25-30 mph. As stated in an earlier thread my goal in business is to be a man of integrity and in all business transactions to be honest however it is hard at times. I tend to believe I am successful but... While writing this a lady called and wanted to know about 3 pallets of sod. When I told her the price and when I could get to it, her reply was "Do you know who I am and I don't like to be kept waiting"!

Well my rant is over. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
To answer your quote with another, with the rant, "Do work, son!" and "The world is a Di*K"

To sum it up. To hell with it, just hit the ground with boots running and stay motovated. Think of that check at the end of it.
__________________
Landscape Engineering Service
US Army 372nd EN Co 12N

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
She has her system set for every third day, so it will rotate to Friday every once in a while. I would suggest to her to have her system set on the weekday schedule making sure that it never waters on Friday. What can a guy do? They are lucky you got it cut for them at all.
I not familur with sprinkler systems yet, so that's why it puzzled me. It rattled around long enough that I figured it later in the day. Dang thing is running too much if you ask me. Water squishing out all over. Made me cringe to mow it. Oh well, nothing can be now, and now I know the dumb schedule. First I ever heard of every 3 days too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 AM
J & D Greens's Avatar
J & D Greens J & D Greens is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: englewood, Colorado
Posts: 758
If you still are cutting the lawn I would get them to change it to were it never waters on the day you cut. When have to cut lawns with systems and I get to set their watering schedule I like to have not water the two days before I cut and then resume the nexted day. Usually it lawns need to be watered only three days a week anyway.
__________________
J&D/Greens
My picture thread;
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=342687
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 AM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,347
Theres something in the water... not the sprinkler water but the drinking water. Have you read my latest thread on people? For a while I thought it was a NY thing but it might be bigger than that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 AM
MOW ED's Avatar
MOW ED MOW ED is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 5,029
There is the good and the bad, it can seem bad but it can be worse. At least we have some customers and are able to do work. People can be a major pain in the behind at times but they are who we need to write the check.
It happens to all of us at sometime and its just part of what we do. Now that being said, I don't want to seem like nothing bothers me at times as I hav had my share of exactly what you are dealing with. I just chalk it up to if it doesn't kill me it makes me stronger. I am now benchpressing locomotives.!
__________________
Check out the SPONSORS, they keep this site going!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman gus View Post
Thomas Paine-"These are the times that try men's souls"

What do you think he is talking about?

I think he was talking directly to me. If it is not raining and storming, it is above normal in temperature. If a person is not complaining about work I haven't gotten yet, they want to talk about the price they are being charged. People call and ask when I am going to finish my second application of weed control knowing that the wind has been blowing steady 25-30 mph. As stated in an earlier thread my goal in business is to be a man of integrity and in all business transactions to be honest however it is hard at times. I tend to believe I am successful but... While writing this a lady called and wanted to know about 3 pallets of sod. When I told her the price and when I could get to it, her reply was "Do you know who I am and I don't like to be kept waiting"!


Well my rant is over. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Customers or clients are like trees. Some need more training than others!
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I not familur with sprinkler systems yet, so that's why it puzzled me. It rattled around long enough that I figured it later in the day. Dang thing is running too much if you ask me. Water squishing out all over. Made me cringe to mow it. Oh well, nothing can be now, and now I know the dumb schedule. First I ever heard of every 3 days too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Timers have an option to program exact days, odd even, and every Nth day. They also have omit days yes they could omit Fridays.

We typically set the days of the week around here based on typical watering restrictions. Twice a week is fine. Yes, that means a 3 day and a 4 day stretch between watering. Just wait until it goes off on her open house
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Page generated in 0.07927 seconds with 9 queries