Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best walk behind for getting thru gates?

Starting to pick up a bunch of accounts that have gated off backyards and the 21" push mower is slowing me down to the point where it may not be worth keeping the accounts. I need something that is bigger and is going to make easy quick work. These properties do not need to be bagged however i would like to be able to have the bagger on and still be able to get thru the gate incase new accounts call for it. What is the best 36" walk behind for under 1k?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do they make a best 36" for less than 1K?

There is not a 21" that I would put into production that cost less then 1K
Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

A little over 1k, but something like this: http://albany.craigslist.org/grd/3022902370.html
Old 06-03-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Considering that a commercial 21 incher can run you $1k I think you're asking a little much to get a 36 incher for $1k. Even finding a used commercial 36 incher at that price that's worth owning may be difficult. Most bags come off pretty easy...you go thru the gate, then put the bag on. Since they're almost always side mounted I don't think you're gonna find one that you can keep on and still get through most gates.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well anything would be an upgrade from the pos yard machine non-propelling 21" push mower.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can look for used or decide it you want to get a decent new 36 WB for around $3500. Most guys like the dual hydro.
You can use it front and rear and work much faster.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a scag 36" WB belt drive last year for this reason. $800 on Craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

think i would stick to a belt drive wb 36'r just to keep the cost somewhat down. Theres gotta b something out there that i could pick up for a grand or less
Old 06-04-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Starting to pick up a bunch of accounts that have gated off backyards and the 21" push mower is slowing me down to the point where it may not be worth keeping the accounts. I need something that is bigger and is going to make easy quick work. These properties do not need to be bagged however i would like to be able to have the bagger on and still be able to get thru the gate incase new accounts call for it. What is the best 36" walk behind for under 1k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Considering that a commercial 21 incher can run you $1k I think you're asking a little much to get a 36 incher for $1k. Even finding a used commercial 36 incher at that price that's worth owning may be difficult. Most bags come off pretty easy...you go thru the gate, then put the bag on. Since they're almost always side mounted I don't think you're gonna find one that you can keep on and still get through most gates.
If he found a 36in mower with a bagger on it, the width would be wide enough to run a 52in ztr through it.

Ron, you need to measure each property that has gated backyards and take the smallest and go off that. Maybe you can convince the customer to enlarge the gate so you can get it done faster and save him a little money?