Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2002, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone in the northeast still have leaf clean-ups to finish?

:blob3: i was just wondering if im sailing this boat alone, i still have about 20 leaf cleanups to do anyone else out there still hoping for 2 clear weeks to finish up. tony
Old 12-28-2002, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yepper

I do this part time on weekends. December was nearly a waste of a month and looks like nothing will get done this weekend. I have 5 more to go and I told all of them it could be the weekend of 1/4 or 1/11 or 1/18 or even 1/25 depending upon weather.. So far they have all understood.

Even if I was able to do it during the week, heck 1/2 this week was shot all because 4 inches of snow refuses to melt.. I don't do leaves with snow on the property or medium-high winds.. Job gets done only so-so and customers don't want to hear about it. I'd rather not do the job and wait a week and risk losing it to a full time lco than do a 1/2 crummy job cause I was trying to fight mother nature..

So I'm with ya, still go more to go.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeh, we still have a few to go. Weather has been all but coperative this year. We hired a few part timers just to help get the jobs done, good thing too. Would still have alot more to do with out thier help.

Hey, Dec was cold and wet maybe Jan will be dry and warm???
Old 12-28-2002, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 or 3 for my normal customers to go. Might get done first week of jan.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but here in NW New Jersey, if you aren't finished with clean ups by the middle of December, you're in big trouble.

Yeah, I know the weather has been less than predictable this Fall and early Winter. But I have read (from people in NJ) of having 20 or 30 clean ups to do yet. That is insane. Either they are taking on more work that they can handle or don't have the proper equipment to service their customers.

The h***with doing clean ups in January. You might as well wait until the Spring!

just my .02
Old 12-28-2002, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rodfather
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but here in NW New Jersey, if you aren't finished with clean ups by the middle of December, you're in big trouble.
Isn't it also illegal in NJ to rub guy's noses in their faces??? Just because you were able to clean up doesn't us lowlife's managed too..............
Pete
Old 12-28-2002, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yup

20 or so to go still, out there each possible day
Old 12-28-2002, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: ummm big trouble w/ 20 to, not the right equipt, too much work,ok. well i quess the 4 other people i had lunch w/ on tuesday are just as lame, maybe even more b/c they have much more than i do i'll finish in one clear week, would have been well b4 xmas if it was'nt for the dec. 5th snow fall.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah!

same here have about 20 cleanups to go. We are gonna call customers on Monday to tell them they will be the first ones on spring list

The clean ups are taking twice as long and turning out half as good because of the wet and cold weather. It's not fair to the customers!
Old 12-29-2002, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by General Grounds
:blob3: ummm big trouble w/ 20 to, not the right equipt, too much work,ok. well i quess the 4 other people i had lunch w/ on tuesday are just as lame, maybe even more b/c they have much more than i do i'll finish in one clear week, would have been well b4 xmas if it was'nt for the dec. 5th snow fall.

I wasn't referring that someone might be lazy or lame with 20 or so clean ups still left to do. I mentioned taking into account the unusual weather hindering our efforts and I should also include the fact that the leaves were late this year in falling (about 2 weeks or so).

And no Pete, I am not rubbing anyone's nose in their misfortune. I just think it strange some are planning to doing clean ups well in January. Personally, I would wait until the Spring when things are at least not frozen.