Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2002, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rodfather

And no Pete, I am not rubbing anyone's nose in their misfortune. I just think it strange some are planning to doing clean ups well in January. Personally, I would wait until the Spring when things are at least not frozen.
But of course, as the owner of Ferris equipment you know I was joking, right????
Pete
Old 12-29-2002, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rodfarther, im not trying to piss anyone off, but saying it is insane thatwere not finish by mid-december, b/c we took to much work on is a little bit of a strectch. esp. after we lost 2 weeks to poor weather conditions, i expect my customers not to understand, not someone in the treches w/ us. tony
Old 12-29-2002, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not PO'ed Tony and I hope you aren't as well.

And I do understand cause we had to deal with the same wacky weather as you. In fact up here north of you in Hunterdon and Warren county, the snow probably stuck around a little longer than where you are (s***!).

I ain't looking for sympathy either...but I know after 8 years how much in the way of leaf clean ups we can do regardless of the weather.

I guess I will end it by quoting Dirty Harry, "Man's got to know his limitations". Nuff said. I am sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Rod, no offense taken but how can we have taken on to much if we lost from the 5th of dec. till just about the 20th, i can see if we had no snow and we were still out there jan 1, then i would agree 110 %. tony
Old 01-20-2003, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So, how do we look NOW

So, how many in the Northeast STILL have leaves to do?

I know I do, my situation hasn't changed at all during all of January. Every weekend has been very windy, way way too wet or snow covered ground.. We had snow on Thursday night, it's now Sunday night, 72 hours later and the ground is still covered in most places...

Problem is that we only had 1 INCH of snow..

We haven't cleared 29 degrees outside as a HIGH temperature now for over a week.. Overnight lows in the single digits.. 6 to 9 degrees.. So NOTHING is melting..

Gary
Old 01-20-2003, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have about 20 to go. It has been in the 20's and low 30's for at least the last week with a bit of snow on the ground. It looks like more of the same for the next few weeks. I'm done. I'm just going to wait for spring at this point. I've been in this business for a long time and NEVER had a fall like this past one. We tried, but that was just BS. If it wasn't snowing, it was raining, or the ground was frozen and the leaves weren't going anywhere. If the client can't understand that is the reason why I didn't finish, they can take a walk.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did all but 3 large ones. I'll finish in the spring. Did smaller ones first.(better to have fewer people unhappy)
Old 01-20-2003, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Member

YES!!! I have about 4 clean-ups to take care of if the weather permits. I've told my clients if the weather lets up we would be out. If not we would see them in march.

Just Cuts
Lawn Maintenance
& Landscaping
Old 01-20-2003, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I would be glad to only have 20 left, we have 63 left and 471 completed and have been waiting for some good weather so we can get back at it. I called the 63 remaining and most said they would prefer us to complete them as soon as possible. Hope it gets warm soon!!!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys up north don't feel too left out.

The leaves falling late, coupled with the wacky weather, had some of us down here behind as well.

I finished my last cleanup last wed.....and then it snowed 7.5 inches the next morning! Talk about timing....whew!

Good luck up there fellas...but spring is right around the corner.