Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2003, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had everyone's turf areas cleaned off real good before Thanksgiving. We started final clean-ups the week after. We still have 105 left (some 40 of them will be a little time consuming). Basically about 2-3 weeks for 6 men. I sure hope for some warm weather in February. If not, I know we won't get all of our spring mulching done.

Bob
Old 01-20-2003, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, next question

I hear from lots of people on here that this past fall was real bad..

Now, has it REALLY always been like this, or was this year truly a wacky year?

Do some of you veterans always have things done by say... December 21st and now you still have 42 to go with no end in sight??

Cause you know how people always say the weather is the hottest, wettest, driest, coldest they can ever remember, and meanwhile it's right within the statistical odds of things.

Now I do know in NJ, we've been below 30 degrees for about 10 days now and it is bitter cold at night, dropping into the single digits.. That IS cold that I know we haven't had in a long long time..

If you still have fall cleanups to do, do you call the customers weekly, or just take this as idle time while the weather does it's things.. I don't want to lose any customers, but also don't want to be calling weekly when there is no point in doing so..

Gary
Old 01-20-2003, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gary,

We never start our final clean-ups until after Thanksgiving. This was a really weird year. The leaves hung infairly long and then wham - they all fell pretty much at once. A more normal year would see the maples fall & sweet gums, then later the cherries, oaks, plums and finally the pears (with the exception of the pin oaks that always hold some thru the winter). Anyhow, the all fell in the middle of November. The townships got behind w/ their pick-ups & we usually won't do a final clean-up until curbside collection is complete so we know there won't be a lot left to blow around once we get done. Also, w/ the snow, wind, rain, etc - we only had approx 10 good days between Thanksgiving & Christmas. Usually, we can count on having all clean-ups done by week 2 of January! We're not calling anyone at this point. Our clients have been w/ us for a long time & know we'll get there ASAP. Hell,we had about 15 clients never get their last fert app either. It's the Nature of the beast - pardon the pun.

Bob
Old 01-20-2003, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gary...let's look at the facts for 2002

1. January, February, and March little or no snow for NJ
2. Very wet and rainy Spring though
3. Drought hits early in late June
4. Trees look like s***in early September and looks like an early Fall.
5. Rain finally comes back and trees now want to drop a good 2 weeks later than usual.
6. Everyone is running around saying, "WTF going on"?

I have lived most of my 48 years in NJ (including Hunterdon County) where I am now. We finished a week later than usual because of that early December snow fall around the 5th or so.

If I still had Fall clean ups to do (here it is the 20th of January), I wouldn't bother calling anymore unless there was a major winter thaw...Spring will be here b4 you know it. Rest up while u can.

just my 2 cents from a fellow NJ guy
Old 01-20-2003, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup sure do here in MA. About 35 or so.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I let them know that if the weather improved, we would be there. I don't think it's necessary to call every week. Rodfather has good advice: rest up know, take a break. The 80 hour weeks will be here soon... Mike
Old 01-21-2003, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fall >> Spring Cleanups

Upstate NY

Late tree drop, early cold weather (2+ ft of white stuff) all equal incomplete fall cleanups -- of 20+ accounts I still have 6 to do.