Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Hope this has a simple answer..........

I have an Exmark TTHP 36" with a Kawasaki 15 (i think) engine is an FH 451V BS 04.
Removed the pull starter because it was binding when it was released and not recoiling as it should. I have done this on many mowers many times and no problems. This time i took it apart and cleaned an lubed as recommended in the manual. These small springs were kinda half way in and half hot of where they go and I just thought they needed to be cleaned and re-installed properly.the entire assembly is so simple and u can see that the springs were contacting the fingers, but when put back like it appears they were it won't function correctly.

The question is; the small springs, how do they go in?, they look to be return springs, but when installed to return the fingers that catch the motor they don't they r too strong and don't let them extend. If they r installed inside, they do nothing and starter works fine, but u can hear them contacting the engine side of the assembly.
Have searched for a photo of how they r installed but none actually show more than the different parts.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Tom
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tom,

Sounds like you cleaned and lubed it too good, Take it back apart and throw a hand full of sand in it then put it back together......

What did you lube it with ?

The small springs are supposed to go on the outside of the dogs to hold them in, Your issue is not enough drag on the top plate to engage them when the rope is pulled.

When you put the pulley back in you put a flat washer in the center then the larger spring, the top plate then another washer then the shoulder screw correct ?

This center spring may be weak and not providing enough tension/drag, You can try stretching it a little and see if it helps.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds simple enuf...
I might have said the same thing...but..2 inches of rain turned my normal....mail it in.Friday.....into feeding time at the zoo....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chech on ebay for a starter assembly. THose things have little weat "tits" holding the dogs that break, those parts from the dealer are around 50$, you may be able to fine a new complete starter on ebay for that.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Chech on ebay for a starter assembly. THose things have little weat "tits" holding the dogs that break, those parts from the dealer are around 50$, you may be able to fine a new complete starter on ebay for that.
THAT sounds like a good idea!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

restrorob, u made me think about the way the system functions and I now realize the problem, I forgot how the system functions.I hat the silver top plate tabs in the wrong holes and it was not able to spin and engage the tads that make the whole thing work.
thanks for all the input!