Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere JX85 - what's it worth?

Hi all; I'm in the market for a new mower for home use (80% mulch, 20% bag), and have been considering a Honda HRC216 ($1300), a Snapper Hi-Vac ($900), an a Toro Commercial ($1300) - these are CDN prices.

However, there is a John Deere JX85 for sale reasonably close by and was used residentially (no commercial use). I love my 14SB that I have (it'll be my back-up), so I know I would like the JX85.

Problem is the guy is asking $650 - which I think is way over priced for a machine that's 8-10 years old. It's been sitting in storage for about 4 years and probably needs the carb cleaned, and will definitely need full maintenance (including the oil filter).

Should I consider the JX85 over those others, and if so - at what price?

I initially offered $425 but he wants to wait it out a bit to see if anyone comes closer to ask... whats an appropriate top dollar amount if it's in great shape? And is it worth saving the money and buying the JX85, or should I just stick with one of the new machines?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see them go for anywhere from $200- $700 around me depending on their condition and if they include the bagger system in good shape, and if they need anything at all or not. If it starts right up and runs fine, and needs nothing more than regular maintenance, I'd offer $500 cash FTF. It's hard for a lot of guys to turn down cash in hand for what might be if they wait. They JD will leave a nicer looking finish to your lawn than any 21" will simply because they don't leave those ugly wheel marks. I have a 14SB too, and know how nice a mower they are, but I'd prefer to have the wider tires of the rider. One of my neighbors a couple doors down has the JD JX75, and it does a very good job as long as the blade is sharp. Plus it'll still fit through almost any gate, and the bagger will hold more clippings or leaves than the WB.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a great mower and works fine for commercial use. I ran a whole fleet of those for many years. JD has quit making those, so grab it before someone else gets it.
I would consider going almost the full asking price, if it is in very good condition.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I still run mine in my business. Don't use a whole lot anymore but it is probably one of the best 21" mowers you'll run across. Nab it up while you still can!

Best of luck.

Tim
Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I see them go for anywhere from $200- $700 around me depending on their condition and if they include the bagger system in good shape, and if they need anything at all or not. If it starts right up and runs fine, and needs nothing more than regular maintenance, I'd offer $500 cash FTF. It's hard for a lot of guys to turn down cash in hand for what might be if they wait. They JD will leave a nicer looking finish to your lawn than any 21" will simply because they don't leave those ugly wheel marks. I have a 14SB too, and know how nice a mower they are, but I'd prefer to have the wider tires of the rider. One of my neighbors a couple doors down has the JD JX75, and it does a very good job as long as the blade is sharp. Plus it'll still fit through almost any gate, and the bagger will hold more clippings or leaves than the WB.
Ignore my first post. I had my head buried.

I confused the JX 85 with the small GX85 series of 30" riders JD used to make.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck88 View Post
Hi all; I'm in the market for a new mower for home use (80% mulch, 20% bag), and have been considering a Honda HRC216 ($1300), a Snapper Hi-Vac ($900), an a Toro Commercial ($1300) - these are CDN prices.

However, there is a John Deere JX85 for sale reasonably close by and was used residentially (no commercial use). I love my 14SB that I have (it'll be my back-up), so I know I would like the JX85.

Problem is the guy is asking $650 - which I think is way over priced for a machine that's 8-10 years old. It's been sitting in storage for about 4 years and probably needs the carb cleaned, and will definitely need full maintenance (including the oil filter).

Should I consider the JX85 over those others, and if so - at what price?

I initially offered $425 but he wants to wait it out a bit to see if anyone comes closer to ask... whats an appropriate top dollar amount if it's in great shape? And is it worth saving the money and buying the JX85, or should I just stick with one of the new machines?
Hey Canuck,

I'm from the Toronto area. I owned a JX85 from 1998-2003. I think they stopped producing them sometime around 2002 or so. As a bagger it was great but as a mulcher, it was not very good. I also started having transmission issues with it when it got to about 350 hours. If you mulch 80% of the time and the machine will be for homeowner use, have you considered the honda hrx217. I believe they're on sale for $999 Canadian. That would probably meet you needs. Here is the link:
http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnm...hrx/hrx2173hyc
Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I mulched with mine about 95% of the time. I thought they did a great job of mulchng, and, they bag great too.
I was using mine in Bermuda grass and St. Augustine grass. If the blades are sharp, they do a beautiful mulching job, in my opinion.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hands down the best 21" mower ever made...i would buy it in a heart beat...we bought two that were really beat up a long time ago and loved them, ONLY problems were the transmissions at times but we ran the hell out of them...we mulched most of the time with them too and that is the main reason why i loved that mower so much...it also bagged well but what mower doesn't...we replaced them with a commercial honda, can't remember what model...that mower sucked, only thing it did well was bag because it had two blades on it which cut the clippings up much finer (so you could fit more in the bag), which also is the reason it didn't mulch well...i did try a different model of honda which i liked better, but still not as good as the jx85...we bought the exmark commercial and i think it's pretty good, almost like it as much as the jx85
Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
hands down the best 21" mower ever made...i would buy it in a heart beat...we bought two that were really beat up a long time ago and loved them, ONLY problems were the transmissions at times but we ran the hell out of them...we mulched most of the time with them too and that is the main reason why i loved that mower so much...it also bagged well but what mower doesn't...we replaced them with a commercial honda, can't remember what model...that mower sucked, only thing it did well was bag because it had two blades on it which cut the clippings up much finer (so you could fit more in the bag), which also is the reason it didn't mulch well...i did try a different model of honda which i liked better, but still not as good as the jx85...we bought the exmark commercial and i think it's pretty good, almost like it as much as the jx85
Which version of the exmark commercial did you buy...the metro 21" with the 3 speed tranny (same as the toro proline) or the new version that came out in 2010?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

21" metro X series...i believe that is the "new" one that came out in 2010...my only complaint with it is it has a kill switch on the engine that you have to hold down for 5 seconds to turn the machine off as opposed to the jx85 where you pull that throttle back to the off position and simply walk away as it is shutting down

i love toro mowers but have never liked their 21" mowers...