Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

side chute vs bagger

I'm just getting into lawncare, but i have about 30 accounts and i'm looking to upgrade equipment. I only have a husqvarna rider for my mower right now, but here's the problem i am running into. I am very picky with my customer's lawns, and if it is tall at all i will go over and over the yard until the grass clipping has been all mulched up. I am doing this with a standard side chute. Is there any other options when i buy new equipment or even with my current mower? It is kind of time consuming, is it normal to go over the yard again to mulch up the clippings? OR, i was reading about some "Catcher" but i don't really understand what it does. How does the commmercial guys as banks and stuff not show any clippings at all? Help Please!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Your options are cut more frequently, double cut, bag, or install a mulch kit. Mowing at shorter intervals means more cost for the customer, all of the other options mean more cost to you in lower productivity (double cutting and mulching) or hauling and disposal fees (bagging).

Pick your poison.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

thank you. how much do mulch kits run usually? do they work pretty good for what i'm talking about?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

A mulch kit for your rider should be fairly cheap. It will probably just be different blades and a cover to replace your chute. On a commercial machine you are looking at a few hundred bucks.

A mulching kit on a commercial mower will work great as long as you adjust your mowing speed to the conditions of the turf, hence the loss of productivity. One other plus is that if you mow businesses you don't have to worry about flinging grass or other debris onto cars in the parking lots.

Last edited by jhawk60; 06-03-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A mulch kit can only do so much though. How long is the grass you are cutting? I find than anything more than typical weekly growth starts to get to be to much grass to be worth mulching.