Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't get it.....

I've recently moved back to where I want to be and hoping to restart some of my business. Driving around I've noticed the different companies (or whatever some of them are) doing the commercial properties. I honestly don't get why? Here are my reasons.

1.) the property is sooo small that it takes longer to unload your stuff than cut that 7ft wide 50ft long strip of grass by the road. What are you making that could make it worth any of your time?

2.) the work performed is such garbage that either they are ripping off these places( a blight on the industry) or in all honesty they pay garbage which attracts, well, garbage. Missed trimming (as in weeks missed), horrible bed edging (mulch just layong in the grass), mowing that looks like they forgot to put a blade on, huge grass clumps, very lumpy mulch, the list goes on. Embarrassing work that I'd be ashamed to say my business does.

3.) these commercial lots seem like they could really care less as the town requires them to have the lot mowed and/or landscapes and they're too lazy to do it. Plus they are not forking over good money for good work. So why take these on?

4.) this also applies the the bigger commercial lots too (not the major retailers found throughout the county, but bigger local businesses)

I know we usually get a lot of snow here so saying they take it for the snow work seems illogical because if their landscape work is bad I can only imagine the snow work. Plus I don't think their ranger or Tacoma is up to the commercial plowing task.

So why are people so concerned with commercial work when a lot of these places dont care or just look at the second lowest bidder?? Are they patting themselves on the back because they have 50 "commercial" properties? Believe me residential has its own "joys" but people tend to care more, or at least that small percentage. But maybe the commercial world is just a volume game, I really don't know.

For those who do commercial lots, relax this isn't a shot at you. It's more of a what's the appeal with the commercial side, from what I've seen here. And if you're so large that you take care of the major players this really isn't about those places but more local stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For some people doing commerical is a ego boost.

Many business owners are like many home owners, cheap, don't care about quality.

Who cares how small their lawn is, they don't want to mow it, willing to pay to have it done. That's why LCO's have minimum rates.

Not everyone wants what you want.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I get it...I own a business, I shop for deals the best I can to keep overhead as low as possible. With that said...I've never understood how people can do such lousy work. When you think about it, to do a great job wouldn't add much time to the job. Everyone gets professional service from me...I don't tell them $50 for crap and $100 for a good job...simply put, it's my business so I won't do crap, it makes me look bad. Doing it perfect or imperfect carries the same overhead. Fuel, Insurance, and labor, so I've never seen where doing bad work saves me money. But thats just me.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One advantage to commericial properties is there is a never ending bunch of extra billable stuf to be done. And it is better to have 50 commericial properties rather than 200 homeowners and I am sure you can guess why. In the cities the commericial properties are very nicely kept and all are required to have irrigation which keeps the mowing going and is a very big source of extra revenue. It is also a pride thing when I can drive down a mile of road and see the property I take care of(large HOA). We know we could probably make more money off small homeowners but we aren't setup for that. We do have about 100 residential.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed2hess, I agree with you on every bit, except the fact that the work I see is just lousy. Maybe it looked ok when they first edged the beds but it's never kept that way. I'm all about trying to get fewer properties with more billable stuff each rather than as you said 200 single billable properties. And like JVT said its not like it takes that much longer to do it right. 32vld, I know not everyone wants want what I want but the commercials around are so unkept that it has low priced written all over it. I also doubt people would be willing to separate with $200/month for a small strip of grass to be mowed regardless of minimums.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
One advantage to commericial properties is there is a never ending bunch of extra billable stuf to be done. And it is better to have 50 commericial properties rather than 200 homeowners and I am sure you can guess why. In the cities the commericial properties are very nicely kept and all are required to have irrigation which keeps the mowing going and is a very big source of extra revenue. It is also a pride thing when I can drive down a mile of road and see the property I take care of(large HOA). We know we could probably make more money off small homeowners but we aren't setup for that. We do have about 100 residential.
you can get everything you get from a commercial account with a residential account. in fact a lot of the times the ONLY difference between the 2 is the size of the services performed.

they both need mulch once a season. both need fert treatments. both have hedges to trim, leaves to remove. both have irrigation. both need mowed.

now I know not all home owners utilize all this but the ones that do are out there.

curious though does Texas require businesses to have irrigation and if so why? I've never heard of a business being required to have. in my neck of the woods some do and most don't. none are required to.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I think the number of commercial with irrigation in my area is less than 5%.Usually only the national chains. Most look like crap.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
you can get everything you get from a commercial account with a residential account. in fact a lot of the times the ONLY difference between the 2 is the size of the services performed.

they both need mulch once a season. both need fert treatments. both have hedges to trim, leaves to remove. both have irrigation. both need mowed.

now I know not all home owners utilize all this but the ones that do are out there.

curious though does Texas require businesses to have irrigation and if so why? I've never heard of a business being required to have. in my neck of the woods some do and most don't. none are required to.
It is city code to have irrigation on all commercial builds. We just finished putting in some trees for a parking lot addition onto a Chuys restaurant. At first it was going to be okay to just use the water sacks then they wanted water run to each sack. Then they wanted the pipes to be put underground. Then they inspected the controller that it hooked tooo and on and on. Now they have decided that there isn't enough vegetation on the area that was disturbed. So we are planting grass and hand watering. This parking lot is built within a bunch of trees that had to be kept. I am guessing that the final bill will be nearly $10K.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have 3 small commercial lots i do. i'll tell you i would take residential yards over them any day. residentials pay more because they are bigger yards and you can do them during the normal hours of the day. alot of commercials you have to do them really early or after 5pm to avoid having cars parked all over the place....or you have to do them on the weekend which is another negative about commercial lots.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
It is city code to have irrigation on all commercial builds. We just finished putting in some trees for a parking lot addition onto a Chuys restaurant. At first it was going to be okay to just use the water sacks then they wanted water run to each sack. Then they wanted the pipes to be put underground. Then they inspected the controller that it hooked tooo and on and on. Now they have decided that there isn't enough vegetation on the area that was disturbed. So we are planting grass and hand watering. This parking lot is built within a bunch of trees that had to be kept. I am guessing that the final bill will be nearly $10K.
what is the purpose of making it mandatory for commercial properties to have irrigation. I guess I don't understand. I've never heard of making watering mandatory.

it should be left up to the owner whether they water or not. honestly most in my neck of the woods don't water. when the residential lawns dry up so do the commercial lawns as well.