Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Waddle's Avatar
Waddle Waddle is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 26
I don't get some people

I need to vent. A friend of my sister called me a couple weeks ago. She was disappointed in her current LCO and wanted to make a change. I set up an appointment with her and discussed her needs. She tells me that that last year the guy changed his price on her monthly and never did what she asked. All she wanted was the driveway and sidewalks edged along with the mowing and trimming. Not a huge request. She said and I quote "I didn't feel like I was important to him as a customer. He would show up sporadically and didn't really seem to care". I gave her my price and she agreed. I set it up as a weekly account and filled out the contract. I spent two hours there last week cleaning up the place and getting the lawn back into shape. Today she calls me and says can you skip this week and come next week. I asked why. She says the grass is only 3 inches tall and doesn't need it. I say ok it has rained here for three days and my cut height is 3.75 inches. There is no way it's only 3 inches tall. Then I inform her my price was based on a weekly cut. Not bi-weekly or whenever she calls. She didn't understand that when grass gets to tall that it costs more in fuel and time. I told her I don't take customers that are only interested in a quick mow to knock the grass down. I take a lot of pride in what i do, and enjoy seeing manicured lawns It pisses me off that she called me claiming one company didn't cater to her needs and never showed up, and then when she has a company that takes care of her and is dedicated they tell me not to show up. I'm half tempted to dump her as a client and tell her there may be another company better suited for her needs. I don't need the account and don't want my name associated with a lawn that doesnt gets proper maintenance. Some people have gone full ******.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,336
Yeah. I have a biweekly that was OK last season, but this spring when making my calls to get things lined up for a first cut, I was told "It's not high enough to cut yet". I took her word for it, as I hadn't been by. A week later, I called to let her know I'd be there the next day. "My husband cut it this week".
"No problem, I'll see you in two weeks".

I called today (two weeks later) as a courtesy to remind them that they were on my schedule for tomorrow. "Oh... do you do weeding", she asked.
"Well it depends on what you need done". (NOBODY wants to pay for someone to pull weeds, so I don't typically offer it)
"There's dandelions that are going to seed and if you mow, you'll just send them into the grass."




Seriously? She wants me to dig out every friggin dandelion in the lawn before I mow it? Umm. No.

Apparently she's going to let me know in the morning if she wants me to mow.
I guess she's weighing her options. Dig them out herself, or let me just mow them.

I'm weighing my options as well. Deal with this stupid crap, or cut her loose.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM
NYLawns NYLawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phoenix, NY
Posts: 38
Charge her your hourly rate and pull them in my opinion.
__________________
NY LAWNS
Landscaping & Mowing
Phone: 315-313-3271
Email: Contact@NYLawns.com
Web: http://www.nylawns.com

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddle View Post
I need to vent. A friend of my sister called me a couple weeks ago. She was disappointed in her current LCO and wanted to make a change. I set up an appointment with her and discussed her needs. She tells me that that last year the guy changed his price on her monthly and never did what she asked. All she wanted was the driveway and sidewalks edged along with the mowing and trimming. Not a huge request. She said and I quote "I didn't feel like I was important to him as a customer. He would show up sporadically and didn't really seem to care". I gave her my price and she agreed. I set it up as a weekly account and filled out the contract. I spent two hours there last week cleaning up the place and getting the lawn back into shape. Today she calls me and says can you skip this week and come next week. I asked why. She says the grass is only 3 inches tall and doesn't need it. I say ok it has rained here for three days and my cut height is 3.75 inches. There is no way it's only 3 inches tall. Then I inform her my price was based on a weekly cut. Not bi-weekly or whenever she calls. She didn't understand that when grass gets to tall that it costs more in fuel and time. I told her I don't take customers that are only interested in a quick mow to knock the grass down. I take a lot of pride in what i do, and enjoy seeing manicured lawns It pisses me off that she called me claiming one company didn't cater to her needs and never showed up, and then when she has a company that takes care of her and is dedicated they tell me not to show up. I'm half tempted to dump her as a client and tell her there may be another company better suited for her needs. I don't need the account and don't want my name associated with a lawn that doesnt gets proper maintenance. Some people have gone full ******.
I know what ya mean... I've dealt with some of this myself. However, I've learned that your #1 priority is customer satisfaction. Some people, for whatever reason, prefer their yard to look "less appealing" than others. It boggles my mind really, but whatever floats their boat. As long as the customer's happy with it, then all is well. Doesn't always matter how "we" feel about the appearance of their property. I've got some accounts that, to me, look like complete crap, but the customer couldn't seem to be happier with it. Their happiness is my happiness.
__________________
Zech Stoker
est. 1983
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 PM
j-ville native j-ville native is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 349
The problem probably wasn't her last lawn guy. The problem is her wanting to go as long as possible before having to pay you for the next mow. That's why the edging was overgrown, not because her last guy didn't edge. I don't know any lawn guys that don't edge. Her last lawn guy probably just dropped her
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLawns View Post
Charge her your hourly rate and pull them in my opinion.
Hahahahahahahahaha!!! Yeah. Fat chance. She thinks $40 is too much for a biweekly cut when it should be priced at $40 weekly.

She's not going to pay $30-$60/hr for someone to pull weeds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville native View Post
The problem probably wasn't her last lawn guy. The problem is her wanting to go as long as possible before having to pay you for the next mow. That's why the edging was overgrown, not because her last guy didn't edge. I don't know any lawn guys that don't edge. Her last lawn guy probably just dropped her
Could be... Ya never know. I had a customer (for a VERY short time) that only wanted me to come out once every 3 weeks. It wasn't because her lawn was slow-growing though. It was simply that she was frugal, and didn't want to pay for weekly or biweekly service. This was a lawn that seriously needed to be cut every week, and it was like doing a cleanup job everytime I showed up. I got to the point where I told her I was no longer able to continue with the service. No time for funny business.
__________________
Zech Stoker
est. 1983
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 AM
zak406 zak406 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: irwin pa
Posts: 1,505
I had a customer like that they would wait until it got high then call, but by that time it was a foot high and the they would rush me out there which didnt work. I got rid of all of them this year. One is now having ther grandson cut, one lawn that was 3 foot high when I took over it last year has not had it cut this year yet! I got a call from her brother asking if im still cutting grass, I just said sorry but i cut back on it I am trying to do all landscaping! This is my best scheduale by far, all good easy lawns that are not bad to cut!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
mikeypizano's Avatar
mikeypizano mikeypizano is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Yatesville
Posts: 275
I know the feeling. I have one person who insists that the grass will turn brown if I cut it once a week... She is always nice to me so I let it slide and just wait until she says I can cut it.
__________________
If it ain't orange and white then it ain't right!


Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Roger Roger is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: McMurray, PA
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddle View Post
.... I set it up as a weekly account and filled out the contract. .... Today she calls me and says can you skip this week and come next week. .....
Thank you for reinforcing my contention I have offered in many threads over the years, residential customers do not take a contract seriously enough to base any plan of action. I've said many times that I suspect the contract that some LCOs value so highly are in the wastebasket before you reach your truck to drive away. In this case, what was in the contract had zero impact on what the customer wanted done.

Now that she has broken the contract, so what?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.09998 seconds with 9 queries