Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2002, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tony

Atrazine is the most widely used A.I. in weed and feed on southern turf. It is cheap to buy and even cheaper to make. There are no other herbicides that work as well as atrazine on southern turf. It was the chem. companies with there big bucks that brought it back. They also reformulated it from an RUP to a GUP.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Atrazine is commonly used by corn producers around the country. It is a good broadleaf herbicide and is often tank mixed with other chemicials when used as a post treatment. It can also be used as a preplant and incorporated in the soil. I don't think it has ever been removed from the market as an Ag chemical. There has been issues with it showing up in ground water. The carryover concern on the ag side is planting soybeans following treated corn the following year. If you didn't way over due the rate I don't think your grass will have much problem. If you didn't see the grass burnt from application drift you should be OK.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weed burner

Interesting info. Thanks I am sure you are aware that Corn (a monocote) is in the grass family were as Soybeans (a Dicote) is not. The hardpan soil of the grain belt has more clay and SOM than my Fla sand. Hardpan will hold chemicals longer. I can see where atrazine could be a real problem in crop rotation.

Farmers’ use 90% of the fertilizers and chemicals that are mfg. Therefore R & D done by chemical companies is for farmers. We in Horticulture get the left over. The next time someone says farmer, remember that is a sign of respect even if they didn't mean it as such.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: I just might have messed up

Quote:
Originally posted by TurfPro
....now,after doing a search here, I find some people have experienced problems with Atrazine being VERY MOBILE in the soil....have you found that to be true?

Does anyone know what the residual is on this product? Please reply if you do.
From the U.C. Davis ETOXONET web site I obtained the following information on Atrazine:

Atrazine is an EPA restricted use pesticide because of the high risk to ground water contamination. It is the second most prevalent pesticide found in well water.

Atrazine has a high persistence in soil. It will break-down more slowly in neutral pH soils. It can persist in soils up to 1 yr. if the soils are dry or cold (less microbe activity to break down this pesticide). It has a moderate to high mobility in soils with low clay or organic matter content.

Atrazine's half-life is high relative to more modern pesticides. Its half-life is 60-100 days (half-life is the time for 50% of a pesticide to decompose).

Hope this helps!

jim