Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2000, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering what other landscapers are using to bore holes for irrigation pipes when going under walkways ect.

Myself, unless i have to install a sleeve, all I do is use a high-pressure nozzle and blast away a hole. I just bought a boring tool that is very easy to use and works great, especially if you have to use a sleeve. Down side to using this tool is it takes more time to prep the site, than to actually bore the hole. Just curious what other landscapers are using to do this.
Old 08-14-2000, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can find someone with a directional borer in your area,you could sub the job out. You usually see them installing underground power and phone lines.

Karl
Old 08-14-2000, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SAW SOME KIND OF BORING TOOL IN THE NORTHERN EQUIPMENT CATALOG....I THINK YOU USE IT ON A RIGHT-ANGLE DRILL OR ONE OF THOSE TWO CYCLE ECHO DRILLS...
Old 08-14-2000, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a garden hose with a section of pvc fitted with a hose connection. Primitive, but effective. Southern Delaware has very sandy soil.
Old 08-15-2000, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Als,
That's the way I usualy do it,pvc pipe and high pressure nozzle.

Fireman,
Saw the same thing on the net at northertool.com. I was going to go that route until my irrigation rep told me about the machine that i bought. Had to buy a heavy duty drill also, but have other uses for the drill also.

Where I do my landscaping, I can have rock/clay type condition in the hills and the lower areas sandy conditions.
For under $2oo, this machine;special bit that attatches to 3\4" galv.pipe(use any length, i use 4ft lengths)the drill and homeowner's garden hose, can do a 20ft wide driveway with rock/clay conditions in under 45 minutes. Using the old fashion way, up to an hour and a half to do this same driveway. It takes more time to prep the hole than to actualy drill the hole. I've used this tool already 4 times in July on 2 driveways and 2 walkways and love it.
For anybody that wants more info on this machine/tool here's their web site: http://www.borit.com/www-borit-com/testimony.chk

As for subing this kind of work, good luck in finding somebody to do a small job like mine. Everybody that I contacted told me I would have to wait over 30 days and @ $20 a foot, you can see how much money i will be saving.
John