Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

'Sapphire' St Augustine?

Has anyone see it in person? It looks like they started selling them in Florida and about to sell in Texas. Supposedly, it's tougher than Palmetto that I'm used to. From the pics, they look pretty nice.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Member

It is beautiful!!!!! As good if not better than Palmetto just a little nicer looking in the way the leaf blade turns over instead of being a fully upright blade like pally.
I think it is superior to pally in the shade too.
Started to use it more and more but only put about 1000 sqm in cause our supplier cant keep up!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I can see that you're from Australia. I read that 'Sapphire' aka B12 was bred from your country from Sir Walter cultivar.

That would be interesting to have in my front lawn! I have Palmetto in the backyard. Sod Solutions website doesn't have much details but they're the one that is licensing it to grass farmers. I wonder why that when they have Palmetto so I was wondering how they compare to each other. From the website, it appears that Sapphire is slightly superior to Palmetto. If anything, it's an excellent plugs due to much more rapid expansion compared to Palmetto.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Member

http://billsturfsupplies.com.au/turf_pages/saphire.htm Theres a link to some info.My supplier hasnt listed it on their site at all. www.millersturf.com.au
try searching the Australian TURF suppliers for more info. Our "sod" is called turf.

I dont like Sir Walter it is a poor growing grass in my area but elsewhere it is great. I will not put it in! I find it poor especially in shade, high traffic areas with dogs or kids.Recovery rates are too slow.hammer

Pally and sapphire are quicker growers and do recover faster I have 4 dogs (soon to be three!! Need good home for Husky Quick!!) and it is so good (pally) with no track marks.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Awesome! I have a puppy and am worried about leaving a track through the Pally yard sooner or later! It was like that at another house in the past where it'd turn into muddy whenever it rained (3 dogs)!

I finally found a local place that sells Sapphire in my area. The price is same as Pally so that's not bad! They're going to be in my front yard.

Which one would win the battle? Sapphire or Pally if they're growing side by side?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs up I have both in my yard.

I recently laid Palmetto, thinking it was the most superior and wear resistant St. Aug out there. Well, when my supplier ran out, I accepted Sapphire as a sub to finish an area. They have very similar colors and when side by side you really can't tell the difference, except sapphire has a slightly finer blade.

It rooted faster, has lees watering needs, grows faster, reqiures less fertilization, has less weeds, resists wear and tear better, re-coops from fungus, and tolerates the Florida heat so much better than Palmetto.

I am finishing my backyard and doing the front in Sapphire, and I am recommending it to everyone I know.

You can't beat the growth and root rate. The minimal amount of water this grass needs once established amazes me. Oh and another bonus...it adapts to poor and sandy soils.

Sapphire...beats the crap out of pametto!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissyfur View Post
I recently laid Palmetto, thinking it was the most superior and wear resistant St. Aug out there. Well, when my supplier ran out, I accepted Sapphire as a sub to finish an area. They have very similar colors and when side by side you really can't tell the difference, except sapphire has a slightly finer blade.

It rooted faster, has lees watering needs, grows faster, reqiures less fertilization, has less weeds, resists wear and tear better, re-coops from fungus, and tolerates the Florida heat so much better than Palmetto.

I am finishing my backyard and doing the front in Sapphire, and I am recommending it to everyone I know.

You can't beat the growth and root rate. The minimal amount of water this grass needs once established amazes me. Oh and another bonus...it adapts to poor and sandy soils.

Sapphire...beats the crap out of pametto!
I totally agree with you. I have Sapphire in the front yard and it has done great. I'm actually afraid to fertilize sapphire cuz it grows like on steroids. Pally starts to green up earlier but it doesn't matter. Saphy will catch up in a blink when it gets a bit warmer. I am impressed. I planted several pieces at my mom and wow it filled in fast where there is large area of bare ground just like that. It does establish really fast compared to pally. I remember pulling out a runner and put in the small container and gave it some water. I totally forgot about it for a while and checked on it and it looked dead but gave it water anyway. Next thing I knew, it's back. It seems really tough.

Oh and when mowed around 4 inches, you get millions of purple flower spikes which was pretty cool.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Ha!

"It grows like it's on steriods"

That made me laugh, but that is so true. I mowed my grass 4 days ago...but now you can't even tell.

I was wondering about those purple spikes of flowers. I was thinking they were weeds. Thanks for clearing that up!!

I laid the rest of my sapphire and within a week it has rooted and I have already had to mow it.

We should save alt of money on fertilization and water...but gas for our lawn mowers is gonna kill us! lol
Old 06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie View Post
http://billsturfsupplies.com.au/turf_pages/saphire.htm Theres a link to some info.My supplier hasnt listed it on their site at all. .
Off topic, but I'm sure I'd be smiling too if I were the guy in the pool.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't mow as often like every week at least maybe longer but they still always come out looking nice unlike bermuda that you can't afford to get lazy with mowing. Bermuda look best with frequent mowing at low height.

I planted some saphy runners in the back yard and apparently, it's taking over pally lawn. Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissyfur View Post
"It grows like it's on steriods"

That made me laugh, but that is so true. I mowed my grass 4 days ago...but now you can't even tell.

I was wondering about those purple spikes of flowers. I was thinking they were weeds. Thanks for clearing that up!!

I laid the rest of my sapphire and within a week it has rooted and I have already had to mow it.

We should save alt of money on fertilization and water...but gas for our lawn mowers is gonna kill us! lol