The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki 23HP FH680V Oil Leak

I have a wright stander with this engine on it. For the past few months we have noticed a bit of an oil leak. I haven't gotten around to checking it out seriously until today. We would see oil on the deck cover built up on the right side under the engine. Today, I took the casing off and found a ton of build up. I cleaned it off as best as I could (pics below before and after). I had been assuming it was something down low on the motor but this makes me think that it was something up high. I am not a great mechanic but have been learning as I go with the help of everyone on here. Do you have any ideas what it might be and what to check? Thanks!

Jon
Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jon,

Loosen the belts on the crank pulley, Grab the plastic flywheel fan and see if you can rock the flywheel (top of the crankshaft) back and forth/front to rear in the top crankcase bearing.

There have been quite a few of these engines that leak out of the top seal due to a worn crank bearing, Kawasaki only offers replacement crank bearings for a couple engines.

Good Luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

as mentioned above it could be a badly worn upper crank/ block bushing. kawi had issues with these a few years back in 04-06. just a thought if the motor was built around that time frame, you may want to check with kawi or a dealer. they cna check the serial # and see, they were offering replacement engines under warranty and alot of these bad engines were on wrights.

also it may be just a bad flywheel side oil seal or those breather gaskets leak alot also on those fh engines.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Jon,

Loosen the belts on the crank pulley, Grab the plastic flywheel fan and see if you can rock the flywheel (top of the crankshaft) back and forth/front to rear in the top crankcase bearing.

There have been quite a few of these engines that leak out of the top seal due to a worn crank bearing, Kawasaki only offers replacement crank bearings for a couple engines.

Good Luck
It does not rock back and forth and the oil is definitely coming from somewhere up top. What should I check next? Thanks a lot!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper00085 View Post
as mentioned above it could be a badly worn upper crank/ block bushing. kawi had issues with these a few years back in 04-06. just a thought if the motor was built around that time frame, you may want to check with kawi or a dealer. they cna check the serial # and see, they were offering replacement engines under warranty and alot of these bad engines were on wrights.

also it may be just a bad flywheel side oil seal or those breather gaskets leak alot also on those fh engines.
It looks like it is coming from from under the flywheel somewhere. Here is the parts list...could it be one of the seals in this picture like 92049C? Thanks for your help!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondcoleman View Post
could it be one of the seals in this picture like 92049C?

Either that one or the breather gasket #11060B, Pull the flywheel and find out.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have that same engine on a John deere 657 with the same problem. With my engine it had the same oil leak replaced the oil seal at the top and it kept kicking it out blowing more oil. So what my problem was is the top crank bushing/bearing which they do not offer a part number for. They claim that its not replaceable its casted into the block ill tell you "its not casted in the block" i did get mine out and found a bushing made by INA bearing which is part number PAP 40 30 P10 its 5mm to wide so i am just going to cut it down to 25mm. This is alot of work involved in this job start to finish so some may say replace the motor. It doesnt take much play in the crank to cause the oil seal to leak. With this engine is it COMMEN problem that the top crank bushing goes bad. I hope this helps you and that your issue is just the top oil seal but i would look deeper if i was you. Let me know if i can help you.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with replacing the top bushing is there is no direct oil going to the bushing from the oil pump. After Kawi saw what was happening, they recast the block with an oil passage right off the pump, so it gets oil on startup. The old blocks, this was the last place to get oil. Kawasaki claimed it was'nt a problem if the engine was never low on oil. What color is your dipstick??You can replace the top seal, and give it a few weeks, it will be leaking again if there is play in the crank. Some of these motors you can physically watch the screen move back and forth. If the mower has a lot of hours and you don't plan on keeping it long. I'd say live with it. i have customers who refused to dump that much money into an engine with 800-1000 hours on it. Kawasaki won't do anything about it. Good luck!!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Sharpcut is correct if your engine is an A series then it was the old style block that did not have a passage for oil. My engine does have a passage so it could have been ran low on oil. My engine has 1100 hrs on it but i measured everything out and yes there is some wear on the engine but nothing below the min wear that Kaw allows so i will just replace the bushing,both oil seals and new gasket and give it a shot. Worse case it will not work best case i get another 1100 hrs out of it. So its an option you have to determine. If you can do the work yourself i say do it even if you do have the A series engine it lasted 800 hrs like this and if you get 800 more for less than $50 in parts and your time its saves alot of money. This is just my 2 cents for what its worth i hope it helps you make a decision.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say the breather cover is leaking, put a new gasket in and your good to go. Your lucky that you cought it when you did. Thats some serious lack of cooling.