Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a feeling this guy is going to push another valve.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I usually buy them by the case, sometimes 2or 3 cases at a time. It sounds like not many other people having the issue. We usually tighten them hand tight, then about 1/2 turn with channel locks teflon tape and teflon paste. We haven't been using teflon paste for the past few months since the problem is realized. It sounds like we either made mistakes in the way we installed them, or got a bad batch. Either way I appreciate the input. sounds like it is either our issue or a very isolated batch... In the meantime time to review installation procedures and valve choices
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For our installs our Poc's we convert from brass poc to sched 80 mipts . For a while there we were blowing all kind of cracked sched 80 mipts. I came to the conclusion we were over tightening
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
W*M valve parts have been interchangeable for years and years, as well.
W*M has nothing in plastic that goes back 40 years. Richdel got there first. Hydro-Rain was around, but their valve bodies are subject to having cracks.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TTIA article about threaded joint failure on page 20.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Why not? The correct application is the answer, I quit using tape years ago.
Agreed. Sometimes I use both on plastic to plastic, but only wrap the tape a couple of times, and use goop to fill the rest of the threads.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I use the 1" DVF and the 3/4" and 1" A/S version of this valve (ASVF) all the time with either PVC MAs or a TOE or TBE nipple.

I use 4 to 5 wraps of Teflon tape and that's all. Hand tight and maybe just a 1/4 turn with the wrench for good measure.

Teflon paste makes it very easy to overtighten. Because the threads are slightly tapered, the farther they insert, the more pressure is exerted on the threaded portion of the body. I only use the paste on metal to metal connections.
Same way I've done it as well for years and years. Can't recall ever having a split valve. Towards the end though it seems most of the valves I ran into were glued in. At first glued in valves bugged the heck out of me but I got to the point where they made sense in a typical residential system. Didn't affect the system and sped up installations plus never had to worry about leaking at the thread.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Valves are ABS and mfgs don't recommend the use of paste. here is an interesting fun fact about paste/ABS use. swimming pool skimmers are ABS and the threaded 2 in ports are straight sided rather than tapered. a contractor i worked for called me to ask if i was using paste as they were jacking 30 plus skimmers their gvys had plumbed using paste to seal the test loop ports. i said no, the install instructions say tape or ABS compatible products only. his reply was where'd you read that!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Valves are ABS and mfgs don't recommend the use of paste. here is an interesting fun fact about paste/ABS use. swimming pool skimmers are ABS and the threaded 2 in ports are straight sided rather than tapered. a contractor i worked for called me to ask if i was using paste as they were jacking 30 plus skimmers their gvys had plumbed using paste to seal the test loop ports. i said no, the install instructions say tape or ABS compatible products only. his reply was where'd you read that!
Posted via Mobile Device
HUH? Irritrol valves either UV resistant PVC or glass-reinforced nylon (100 & 700 series)
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
HUH? Irritrol valves either UV resistant PVC or glass-reinforced nylon (100 & 700 series)
i stand corrected kiril, i just called my wholesaler and he looked up the specs on a number of valves. eye b wrong. my story of the skimmers is correct though.
Posted via Mobile Device
they did say TEFLON PASTE is recommended PIPE DOPE is not

Last edited by 1idejim; 06-06-2012 at 11:44 AM.