Register free!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

T3 replacements

I had a maintenance call this weekend. Need bulb replacements for some Vista pathlights. (model 4204 if you are acquainted) They had 10 watt T3 in them. I don't have experience with T3s and I haven't talked to the homeowner but I can't imagine that those were bright enough. Any suggestions for replacements? higher wattage halogen or xenon? LED?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Halco makes a great bi-pin LED drop in and I believe James has a line of drop ins as well. That is what I would do in most situations like yours.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tommy's right. If the system was designed with 10 watt lamps, unless there is just a couple to replace the LED Retrofits would be a good suggestion. They aren't too much either. This way you won't have to worry about how they wired it. The LEDs aren't going to be as bright as a 20 watt T-3 however which will give you about 300 initial lumens or so. The LED's will give you 180-200 Lumens if I recall. I am sure James will chime in and correct me if necessary.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

10 & 15watt lamps are cheap to keep around. We stock about 100 at a time. If they want LED I would recommend the Illumicare gu5.3 bulb. In my eyes its equivalent to a 15watt halogen or a 24.4watt incandescent. Remember your color temp will be slightly higher. Just keep extras around. Illumicare has told me they have a failure of 1percent out of box. In my experience (over 300 last year) I see closer to 5-6 percent failure out of box.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lighting Geek View Post
Halco makes a great bi-pin LED drop in and I believe James has a line of drop ins as well. That is what I would do in most situations like yours.
Tommy is correct. Illumicare ( www.illumicaregroup.com) makes a full line of "drop in" LED lamps including a variety of G4 BiPin LED lamps. Unlike the Halco products, Illumicare LED Lamps have been designed and manufactured specifically for use in enclosed fixtures and in moist environments. Developed by an outdoor lighting guy for outdoor lighting guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Tommy's right. If the system was designed with 10 watt lamps, unless there is just a couple to replace the LED Retrofits would be a good suggestion. They aren't too much either. This way you won't have to worry about how they wired it. The LEDs aren't going to be as bright as a 20 watt T-3 however which will give you about 300 initial lumens or so. The LED's will give you 180-200 Lumens if I recall. I am sure James will chime in and correct me if necessary.
No Need to correct you Tim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
10 & 15watt lamps are cheap to keep around. We stock about 100 at a time. If they want LED I would recommend the Illumicare gu5.3 bulb. In my eyes its equivalent to a 15watt halogen or a 24.4watt incandescent. Remember your color temp will be slightly higher. Just keep extras around. Illumicare has told me they have a failure of 1percent out of box. In my experience (over 300 last year) I see closer to 5-6 percent failure out of box.
I would advise you to try the Illumicare G4 BiPin over the G5.3 when installing in those Vista path lights. The socket that Vista uses will not readily accept the G5.3 BiPin lamps. You can select from either the 19mm G4 or the 24mm G4 depending on the fixture style. Same light output from either, but the 19mm fits into more fixtures with its smaller diameter.

Lite-On!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

On a side note, Brilliance LED has a new wedge-adaptor that fits the pins of our G-4 unit. Comes with each G4 bi-pin at no extra charge.

http://www.brillianceled.com/G4_BIPIN.pdf

A nice upgrade for the GE912 and GE921 wedgelamp fixtures.

Also a new version of the AR-11 lamp coming very soon, including 3 beam patterns. And 20% brighter. If you stopped by our booth at LightFair, we had a sample on display.