Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i never use any dressing on my sharpener wheel and the replacements are about $20 so really cheap. i've been using mine for awhile and it hardly has any wear on it. i figure one wheel will last me longer than 10 years being a solo operation.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I take mine to the mower shop once a month where they do it with a magna matic, other then that I just use a handfile twice a week to resharpen the edges instead of grinding down the whole blade. Works for me
Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Does the Bradley unit work on backwards blades on Walkers or Navigators?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
This is just one of those cases where you pay to play.

Because check it out, those grinding wheels on the Oregon that I have are $100 a piece and they don't last me but 5 years or so.
And that's the 12" wheel, granted the smaller wheels are cheaper but they also wear out a lot faster.
They are not maintenance free, the wheels wear unevenly so you'll need to dress them, a good wheel dressing tool costs $50 or so.
As it wears out every so often it needs to be re-adjusted in terms of height so that the angle stays true.
Smaller wheels require even more frequent dressing, adjustment, and replacement.
I spent $300 to have a 1.5 hp motor with a 12" wheel so I'd have power and reliability.
That $190 Bradley is only a 1/2hp motor with an 8" wheel.

You could always get a regular 4.5" grinding wheel, that's the wheel most angle grinders come with, the grit makes for a rougher edge but I used to sharpen my blades for ...
I think one of those grinding wheels lasted me several years, grinder and all it cost me a $20.
I have used my Bradley to change blades out daily for well over a year...I am thinking it is coming closer to two years at this point at least ...blades everyday getting changed for two mowers and the wheel is not even close being close to being needed to be changed. With our year round season down here, think about how many times that wheel has been used, I would estimate I have at least another 7 to 8 years AT LEAST before that wheel will need replaced. I would say at that point I will have gotten my $200 use out of it dont you?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
My 60" super z blades sharpen fine, I can sharpen the last 5.5" on the blades, leaving only about 2" unsharpened, which is more than adequate in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
With blades having a RPM over 18k ....I am guessing that the first three inches of the blade is all that ever sees turf at the most.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just ordered the Bradley Blade Sharpener today! Looks like a nice unit for the $. Even says made in the USA!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

i also ordered one, for $200 who cares just arrived , looks good cant wait to put it to the test.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm gonna order one this weekend as well. No more doing blades with the damn angle grinder lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm telling you guys you won't regret it. Once I used mine I wish I would've got one long time ago, and also glad I didn't spend $800 on one either because this one does a perfect job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gentleman,

I do not think you will be disappointed in the machine you have just purchased. It is simple to use and performs well and saves time vs a bench grinder or using a angle grinder by a lot. This machine will give you a sharp blade and you will still have cash in your pocket vs buying the other more expensive sharpener.

Post pics and reviews here when you guys get a chance.

Tags
blades , sharpening