Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well I had been thinking about getting a MM but you guys are making me think about a Bradley now.

We run two 61" ztr's, change blades everyday, do about 90-100 a week.

We have used a 4.5" angle grinder for years but I know our guys are not getting the angle right.

What are you guys that use the Bradley using to balance your blades?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

i got a balancer on line with bearings and mounted to wall name?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Landscaping LLC View Post
I have gator blades would I need the MM or can I try the Bradley out. Only use gators on one machine but why buy a machine that doesn't work for everything
Posted via Mobile Device
The Bradley will sharpen any flat blades, including the gators, just not the true mulching blades that are wavy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got it yesterday. I have sharpened only 2 sets of blades so far but I got to say it is very nice to have a consistent angle. Was shocked to see how far off I was with my angle using a grinder with a flap wheel.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention earlier in this thread, I have some Kubota blades that have a slight curve to them on the edge. Would this be a problem with the Bradly? And I agree with earlier post that the outer 4"-5" would be doing the cutting. Although if that's the case why do they put "6"-"7" of edge on them?

Kevin
Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Got it yesterday. I have sharpened only 2 sets of blades so far but I got to say it is very nice to have a consistent angle. Was shocked to see how far off I was with my angle using a grinder with a flap wheel.
Nice isn't it. Money well spent. It is really simply to use and makes one of those task that I did not enjoy so much easy. Best of all the lawns never show any sign of stress from being cut with dull blades, even at the end of the day and doing all those lawns.

Just another thing that I have found - works great for putting a edge on a shovel for digging.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
Well I had been thinking about getting a MM but you guys are making me think about a Bradley now.

We run two 61" ztr's, change blades everyday, do about 90-100 a week.

We have used a 4.5" angle grinder for years but I know our guys are not getting the angle right.

What are you guys that use the Bradley using to balance your blades?
You will enjoy the Bradley. It will make it very simple for you and your guys with consistent results that hold up to a heavy days mowing. Best of all you will glad you saved all that money to put towards something else.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K & K Mowing View Post
Forgot to mention earlier in this thread, I have some Kubota blades that have a slight curve to them on the edge. Would this be a problem with the Bradly? And I agree with earlier post that the outer 4"-5" would be doing the cutting. Although if that's the case why do they put "6"-"7" of edge on them?

Kevin
Not sure why they but that edge on them other than it gives you a area to remove a little material if they get out of balance.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

this is the machine that i have had experience with.

http://www.foleyunited.com/460-Automated-Rotary-Grinder

also the Foley rep stated that the first 2.5" of the blade is all that does the cutting
Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

For mulch blades

From what I read the Bradley doesn't work on true mulch blades with a "wave" in them. But do yall think it would be worth it to use the Bradley on the straight stretch of the blade and use a grinder on the "wave." If I am not mistaken, the wave is just for the true mulching of grass and won't effect the cut of the grass as much as the straight length of the blade would with the wrong angle. So I guess what I am asking is do you think it would be worth using a hybrid Bradley on the straight stretch/ grinder on the wave against just a grinder on the whole blade?

Tags
blades , sharpening