Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernLawnCareTexas View Post
From what I read the Bradley doesn't work on true mulch blades with a "wave" in them. But do yall think it would be worth it to use the Bradley on the straight stretch of the blade and use a grinder on the "wave." If I am not mistaken, the wave is just for the true mulching of grass and won't effect the cut of the grass as much as the straight length of the blade would with the wrong angle. So I guess what I am asking is do you think it would be worth using a hybrid Bradley on the straight stretch/ grinder on the wave against just a grinder on the whole blade?
I think that would work. I don't know for sure but I don't imagine the higher part on the wave cuts any grass, just hits the clippings again. And I wouldn't think it would dull as fast as the straight part that does all the cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a little confused now, so should I buy a Bradley or a MM? Having a grinder will make me sharpen my blades more often, but I'm just starting out my business but I also don't mind spending the $$$ if I have to. You have to spend money to make money and if I'm getting something of good quality it's even better. What do you guys think of the Oregon blade grinders just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
I'm a little confused now, so should I buy a Bradley or a MM? Having a grinder will make me sharpen my blades more often, but I'm just starting out my business but I also don't mind spending the $$$ if I have to. You have to spend money to make money and if I'm getting something of good quality it's even better. What do you guys think of the Oregon blade grinders just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
MM seems like a great machine, but for the cost and considering you are just starting out, the Bradley would be what I suggest for you. I have had mine a couple of years now and still going strong. Works just fine for me and my mowers and I change the blades daily so that is a lot of sharpening if that gives you any idea how much it gets used a year.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
MM seems like a great machine, but for the cost and considering you are just starting out, the Bradley would be what I suggest for you. I have had mine a couple of years now and still going strong. Works just fine for me and my mowers and I change the blades daily so that is a lot of sharpening if that gives you any idea how much it gets used a year.
THANKS! Another question do these two grinders have different angles you can set it at? Does the Bradley come with a light and a debree catcher as well? Or do I have to buy it separately?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
THANKS! Another question do these two grinders have different angles you can set it at? Does the Bradley come with a light and a debree catcher as well? Or do I have to buy it separately?
Posted via Mobile Device

To the best of my knowledge the MM is set to deliver a almost fool proof every time, I could be wrong but I believe that was at one of one of the major selling point for many. The Bradley will give you a little more flexability as you can set for lots of different angles based on the height of the stone and the guide etc. For me the key is setting it with a new set of blades and just tweeking from time to time when needed.

The bradley does not have a light or debris catcher. I would assume you would be using it in the area that you store your equipment, which if like mine, is not the cleanest area during most of the year anyways, so a little dust is not going to harm anything. The same thing goes for the light, if your shop has lights I fail to see the need.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not been disappointed one bit by the Bradley Blade Sharpener. It takes me about the same amount of time to sharpen as it does with the angler grinder but the results IMO are much better and repeatable.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
To the best of my knowledge the MM is set to deliver a almost fool proof every time, I could be wrong but I believe that was at one of one of the major selling point for many. The Bradley will give you a little more flexability as you can set for lots of different angles based on the height of the stone and the guide etc. For me the key is setting it with a new set of blades and just tweeking from time to time when needed.

The bradley does not have a light or debris catcher. I would assume you would be using it in the area that you store your equipment, which if like mine, is not the cleanest area during most of the year anyways, so a little dust is not going to harm anything. The same thing goes for the light, if your shop has lights I fail to see the need.
What do you mean the MM being full proof? I like how u say that you can change the angle of the stone on the Bradley for some reason i feel like thats a really good thing because you can then match the angle on the blade , but then I hear great things about the MM, this is a very hard decision.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
What do you mean the MM being full proof? I like how u say that you can change the angle of the stone on the Bradley for some reason i feel like thats a really good thing because you can then match the angle on the blade , but then I hear great things about the MM, this is a very hard decision.
It wasn't a very hard decision for me. $200 or $600 for a machine that does the same thing...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
It wasn't a very hard decision for me. $200 or $600 for a machine that does the same thing...
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha good point! Then again like I don't mind spending $$ on stuff for business purposes. I think for me it will go down to how the customer support is and how much the parts cost and such. THANKS ALOT I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
The MM is essentially made from my understanding to deliver the same angle every time. The Bradley allows you to achieve any realistic angle that you may choose and get that angle consistently.

I hear good things about aston martin's too, but I doubt I will be paying that much to achieve the same result that my Toyota Camry can deliver.

My point is that if used with any common sense, the Bradley will be a great machine, since it sounds like you just starting out, so my advice to you like all those starting out, there is no need to buy the most expensive toys until you have figured out that this will be a profitable venture for you, then from there you can figure out what tools you feel will give you the best ROI.

Tags
blades , sharpening