Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same house struck by lightning twice in 3 years.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322900

I installed this system twice already and it looks like I get to install it a third time.

The first time I thought the lightning struck a path light but it actually struck a tree that had a light under it.

Got an email from this customer today and I went to look at the system and lightning struck another tree that had a light under it. The whole system is junk again. These people have bad luck.

Although I know it is no fault of mine, I feel so bad for these people. I only had lights under 2 trees at this house and now both trees were struck by lightning. This time the transformer saved the house but the all the LED lights got fried. Is there anything that can protect LV lighting from lightning?

Have any of you guys had trees with lights under them struck by lightning? What was the damage?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen a fair share of lightning damage. I have never had one on a home with a lightning rod installed however. an unscientific answer based on my experience is if you give lightning something to hit that is up high and grounded properly, it might save the next system.

my guess is this home may be located up high on a hill, or have some kind of negative charge to it that attracts lighting. much like static electricity on a carpet on a jigawatt scale, lightning needs something to GO to.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We have seen a few systems that have been struck by lightning. We just repaired one last week actually. 27 of 35 lamps fried, two tree light fixtures completely fried, two relay modules fried, 1 fuse 'fused' into its socket, and some branch wiring melted and frayed.

I really don't think there is much you can do to protect a LV lighting system against a lightning strike. Sometimes these things just happen.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with James, sometimes it just happens that way.

A few years back I had a contractor in Portland that took a lightning strike on his property, not even on the house or shop, hit a large tree about 50 yards from the main house (tree is now a very short stump). Took out the tree, most of the electrical grid in the house and some of the shop, fried all of the transformers and lighting fixtures. A real mess.

Mother Nature has a way of showing us who's really in charge.