Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

St. Augustine runners Rising up

What does it mean when the new growth comes up on top of the grass? Is it a possible sign of grubs at work?

And what is with all these advertisements in the Florida section? I guess you guys use the weed cane!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure about grubs, but is the turf generally extra thick like a semi dwarf? I think I understand what you are talking about and my first guess is that the turf is just dense and the runner is looking to find its way through and take a wrong turn. My other thought is have you applied a heavy does of Pre-Emergent recently? If so that could make the runner not continue to tap down if the soil was hardened? Just a thought.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see runners on the surface here when the st augustine is being cut too short. I do not have the fancy super dwarf varieties here. It is all Floratine or Texas Common. Height of cut should not be less than 3" for those.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've seen surface runners on grass that has been cut to short too, also with dull blades where the mower pulls the stolon out of the ground.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

make sure your blades are centered top to bottom under deck....if they are too close to top of deck that could be causing the problem..decks leading edge can pull on the turf before the blade cuts it....also frequent short watering times can be a factor...water long but less often so water seeps below root zones.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thatch build up can cause it also. What are other factors you see??

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've been observing this happening in most years for the past 20. It usually is noticeable for about a month in late spring and to a lesser extent, for a month in late summer. It generally coincides with the time it puts out the most seed heads.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is just Stolons growing fast. Nothing to worry about. If these were left lying on bare ground they would eventialy root but on top of the grass they just get mowed and look kind of bad for a couple of weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ed,

Not sure if this is what you are referring too as this is a severe example but this is called "looping" and is a example of what can happen when too much Pre-Emergent is used. Here is a photo from U of F showing what I consider a severe case of "looping". I remember this because I had a customer do something similar to his lawn 2 years ago when he found out about Lesco and Barricade. Good news is he had no crabgrass bad news is that it took several months for his soil not to be hard a rock and everything start to recover.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Ed,

Not sure if this is what you are referring too as this is a severe example but this is called "looping" and is a example of what can happen when too much Pre-Emergent is used. Here is a photo from U of F showing what I consider a severe case of "looping". I remember this because I had a customer do something similar to his lawn 2 years ago when he found out about Lesco and Barricade. Good news is he had no crabgrass bad news is that it took several months for his soil not to be hard a rock and everything start to recover.

Yes this is how mine looks. I used no pre-m but am using Lesco moisture product for 6 months. Don't have any significant grubs. Watering is drip underground. Sorry I will post picture.