Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just Joined- Need advice on Commercial 21s

Well after a few years of lurking on this forum I have decided to join. I am just starting out, so I apologize if I sound like I do not know much, because I do not.

Most of the laws I take care of are rather small and many of them have fences, so I need a good 21 inch mower. So far I have narrowed my choices down to two choices- the Honda HRC216HXA and the Exmark Commercial 21 X-Series. I do have a few questions regarding these two mowers.

1. The Honda HRC seems to have a great reputation because it is a well-established mower, while the Exmark is a newer mower and not as many people have used them. Would anyone who has owned any of the X or even S series models give me their opinion of them? I only talked to one owner, and he absolutely loves his. I was wondering if anyone else loves their mower just as much.

2. How is the overall mulching and bagging performance of these two mowers? I tend to bag most of the lawns I take care of, but good mulching performance would be something I would like to see as well.

3. What do most people think is the better engine, the Kawasaki Kai or the Honda GXV? I do like the fact the Kai has an oil filter (Note this is if I decide on the Exmark, I know the Honda only GXV)

Thank you for your time and any opinions would be much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have two crews, each runs 2 of the exmarks. My guys love them and switched from Honda to exmark for their personal mowers. Here in the NW the ability to bag wet grass and leaves is key. The mower does that very well. A lot of the larger LCO's here have switched to them.

Hope that helps!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 21x series with the kawi kai and bbc. I love the mower!!! Its a tad heavy but man its built like a tank! Great overall performance with nice features. Height adjustment is the easiest ive used, very plain and down to it controls, that exmark cut, easy maintenance with the kai motor. Bagging is very easy with the setup or mulch. Mulching is not as good as the toro recyclers but overall not bad. There are other blade choices as well. I love the mower and say go for it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input!

I just got back from the dealer and after talking to him it look like I am going to go with the Exmark X series with the Kai, seems like they can get it in quickly and will give me a better deal than what the Honda dealer was offering me. Also from what i read the honda has some transmission and axle problems, so a lot of people are switching to the Exmark and even the Toro. Looks like I will be picking two of them soon.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You might want to look at the Toro 30" I just came from my dealer and saw it, brand new model and they seem to be the newest way to go, I'm going to get one here soon
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Toro 30 is NOT a commercial mower. There are a few threads on here about them and complaints about cut quality are common.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
The Toro 30 is NOT a commercial mower. There are a few threads on here about them and complaints about cut quality are common.
Thx Darryl, I hadn't really done any research just going by what I was told, guess I need to check the stats first, I was told it was a new model.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just looked on the toro site it is in fact a newer model but yea it's not a commercial model, a 30" commercial model would be sweet.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I heard about the issues with the 30 inch model and my Exmark/Toro dealer steered me away from them if I am going to be using it commercially. The mower is not designed to handle that kind of abuse.

But I will be picking up the Exmark Commercial 21 soon enough, those who own them seem to love them. I am going by my dealer again this week and talk to him about getting a few in, plus some other equipment.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked into any of the JD com. push mowers? I have one of the old ones and love it. A buddy has one of the 21X mowers and I have used it and its just as nice. Just thought I would give you another option.
14X6 double axle trailer
743 Bobcat
1-61" Scag Turf Tiger
2-52" Scag ultimate Hydro
1-36" Scag fixed Hydro
1-21" John Deere 14sx commercial push mower
3- Redmax BCZ2401S
2- Husqvarna BT350
Stihl and Shindawia chainsaws and hedge trimmers

God Bless The U.S.A
A country where a man make a living doing what he loves.