Register free!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for advice or info on starting a landscape supply

I had been kicking the idea around about starting a landscape supply yard. This idea really has not even really started the planning stage yet and if it were to even happen wouldn't happen for maybe 5-10 years down the road. I am just trying to get ideas or advice.

My plan is to start off selling mulch (by wholesale from a mulch yard at first and maybe down the line make it my self would need to looking into upfront costs, profits, overhead, ect.) rock, stone, and top soil. Eventually I would be interested in maybe selling pavers and if it really took off produce and sell either annuals and perennials or ship in and sell plants. Also sell firewood and Christmas trees

I would be looking to cater to both homeowners and contractors.

The location I am looking at is any where from 2-10+ acres and is located at a high traffic intersection. I am already cutting the property for the real estate company and I would hope to maybe rent and eventually buy the property.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice or recommendations for me before I state to brainstorm and write up a business plane? Again this is just a though and I have not even started and planning for this, just seeing if this is even possible and if there is any money to be made in opening a landscape supply.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Sponsor

Contact your local chapter for Score, set up an appointment and have your questions ready. Your business credit will be critical in order to set up accounts with suppliers. If you have any outstanding business debt try to get it paid off or reduced ASAP. Know your competition as well. All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, When i started my landscape business I met with SCORE and it was very helpful, Thank you for that info. As for landscaping business debts I would have to check but I do not think I have any. I do need to work on building credit since I do not think I even have a credit score. ( I am young and we have only been in business for 2 years whoch is why I do not think and of this would take place for atleast 5-10 years. As for competition there is only one other true landscape supply in my area and compared to others that I use he is way over priced, the only reason I think he is still in business is because he is the only supply in the area. He is actually starting to cut back more and more every year and I think he will eventually be retiring since he is an older guy. The only other competition would be a store such as Lowes or Home Depot and the local mulch yard that I use which caters only to landscapers and is more interested in wholesale deliveries to landscapers and nurseries.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Sponsor

That is good news. Get back in touch with SCORE and have them advise you on how to start to build your business credit and discuss your other plans as well. I would continue
with my day to day opperations and keep your future plans to your self, for now. The closer you get to a launch date the more information you can slowly release. Where you are ATM will provide you with good experience for the future. You may also only want to focus on your landscape supply business within the next 5 to 10 tears anyway. What will be important in the mean time is to look for key people to fill spots within your organization. If you choose to keep your business in house and hirer within your own family, this can work. The key will be that your help must understand that they work for you and the company. Nothing personel if they get fired, just business. Otherwise start looking for other colleagues in the industry and gradually start to groom them for future opportunities that may arise for both parties. Time will go by very fast so start to look at these matters now. I am blessed to have other than my self Two key personnel on staff.
Keep the forum posted as to your progress.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Always like the SCORE advice. You might want to check with ordinances for your mulching operations too. EPA gets a little excited from time to time.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Always like the SCORE advice. You might want to check with ordinances for your mulching operations too. EPA gets a little excited from time to time.
Good point, having all them ducks in a row in advance makes life much easier!
easy-lift guy
Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what exactly is SCORE?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
what exactly is SCORE?
SCORE stands for Service Corps of Retired Executives. A very good organization, all volunteer and no charge
Posted via Mobile Device