Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulch Bid Help

I need a bit of help with knowing what a fair price is for mulching. My business has done plenty of small mulching jobs, but we are now starting to get asked to do 10-12+ yard mulch jobs. We just gave two bids for $75/yd installed for cedar (mulch cost, delivery, very minimal weeding, mulch installation). One customer was fine with the price. The other said that we were so expensive that it was "not even worth negotiating".

Assuming mulch costs around $33/yd plus delivery in my area and we can move 1 yard/hr, this means we are clearing a little over $30/hr. I own the business with a partner and we are college juniors, but we've been doing lawns and landscaping for about five years now.

Are we out of our league with $75/yard installed? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Sponsor

No your not, you know your market place and the cost for goods and services. If your still clearing a net profit after expenses your fine. Just don't get greedy, remember what happens to pigs when they get to fat!. All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $57.00 w/tax for 2 yards picked up....really more like 2.5...depends who loads it.

Charge $150-$165...delivered and installed, no bed prep included.

Have done it for $125 when they are getting 30+ yards and there is alot of bed prep.

Self employed for over 35 years..
Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, guys. We're considering lowering it by $5 or so, but we really just need to figure out what the market price is in our area in Michigan. Maybe I'll call a couple other pros and get quotes- i hope that's not bad business etiquette but I don't see any other way of getting a good idea of prices.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are not out of line at all, I charge anywhere from 75-85 per yard for mulch depending on A. the type of mulch (I get plain brown hardwood at 20 per yard, Black died triple shred at 25) and B. how much "work" is involved. Is a simple dump or is it up a hill in between 2 bushes ect. Weeding, trimming, pre emergent is all extra
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, that seems bout on par man... I get around $80-$100 per yard installed depending on prep and the size of the job.

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

^^^^ Glad to hear we are close in prices. Do not lower your prices to try and land a cheap skate it is not worth it. I hope you can spread more than a yard an hour.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone, this is good advice and very reassuring. Upon further research, in our area the going rate seems to be between $65-80, so we're right in the ballpark. I think what we'll do like some of you guys were saying is vary the price depending on how much work is involved and the type of mulch.

Now that I've got a feel for what's reasonable, I'll be much more comfortable not catering to cheap customers.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORS10 View Post
Thanks everyone, this is good advice and very reassuring. Upon further research, in our area the going rate seems to be between $65-80, so we're right in the ballpark. I think what we'll do like some of you guys were saying is vary the price depending on how much work is involved and the type of mulch.

Now that I've got a feel for what's reasonable, I'll be much more comfortable not catering to cheap customers.
Exactly. Some people are just cheap, plain and simple. They may make you feel like you are on the high side for prices (which they shouldn't) so forget about it and move on. You can't work for free and some people think otherwise.

Your price seems fine based off the $60-$80 price you said other guys are at.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

heck, around here i get $80/yd for hardwood installed. prep work is extra. for cedar i would be around $100/yd since its so much more here. i think they are just tire kickers.

Tags
college , landscaping , mulch