Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2002, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

double blades

Hello, this is my first post. Just to give you some background, I started my company up in June. I joined Lawnsite back in OCT and just been kinda of sitting back and learning. Now to my query I've seen on here a couple of times the subject of putting on double blades. 1. what is the advantages and disadvantages. 2. does it void the warranties on the spindles. 3. whats the purpose. By the way I'll be buying a 60" super z, Hustler in feb
Old 12-29-2002, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you that it will not void your warranty on your Super Z.
We use ductile cast iron spindle housings and large roller bearings, and a solid shaft, you are not going to hurt this spindle with double blades.
There are several members here that use doubles and they love them.
I would suggest getting a anti-blowout kit for your Super Z, it will help keep the grass from blowing out from the front of your deck.
The part # for the 60" deck is 368498 and the MSRP is $55.00

Later
Pj
Old 12-30-2002, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Double s can do wonders for the performance of your mahcine.. I dont know about warranty info as none of my machine s had warranties to worry about when I started doubleing... You will get better stripes, You can mulch the clippings finer, resuting in less passes and better looking lawns.. I have found that running a hi lift blade on the lower position with a standard gator mulcher in the upper position works best for me.. You may find differant, I tried a few diff combnations.. I tried using gators on top and botom and it clumped up really bad.. unless the grass was totally dry... Tried both standard blades and that worked well, but the hi lift and gator combo seems to give me excellent stripes and no noticable clippings left on lawn.. Good luck with your new machine and business.. Welcome to lawnsite...
Old 12-30-2002, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Could anyone tell me who sells the saddle bracket to run doubles?
Old 01-01-2003, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Saddle Bracket ????

I dont think you need one ?? I havnot use one or had the need for one..... Just put blades in x pattern and tighten up bolt... Never had a prob with them moving on me.. None of my machines have interference or overlapping blades... a 36" scag and a 48" lesco and the blades , even if move and get loose will not hit eachother... Other mahcines may be differant if the blades are timed like the walkers.... But they wont fit on a walker with the ghs anyway....