Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

can't get a break

With all this rain last week and this week I cant keep up. The grass is growing mad. I have been forced to mow in the rain....I cant put things off any longer. My weekend is already full . If I get backup any further I will never catch up. I cant even spray for weeds in the flowerbeds witch are also growing like crazy. Anyone else having this problem? I love rain but please rain while I am sleeping not while I am working
Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a tip for you--hire someone. In business--there is a point of diminishing returns. Just think how far you'll get behind when you have a stroke from worrying over such stuff. Hire someone old and loves to mow.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an employee working with me. I have seen some lco's are just skipping and cutting it the following week. A buddy of mine runs his business from 7am till 7pm 6 days a week with three guys. Now when he gets behind is is almost impossible to catch up. He says he does 60 lawns a day.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's rain and there's downpours. Just means were all working this weekend. Watched in disbelief as Scotts came and sprayed my neighbors yard. I could hardly see him through the rain. Looked like a jackwagon spraying in a poncho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not having to cut through rain, but it has been wet. Been lucky to get the early AM rains that go away and it stays overcast all day. Muggy as hell, but you can work in it. I always get reminded how it is imperative to stay on top of trimming and spraying in the summer b/c you may get in the situation you are in where you can't spray for a couple of weeks. May want to do a liquid pre-m in your beds for the summer so you don't get behind. Liquids are way cheaper than granular and it will help you in case you get behind like you are now. Just keep working and it will get done.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been getting soaked for two weeks straight, and rained all morning until 10. My front yard is a lake right now the ground is so saturated. Today we did a lot of 21" mowing, a ZTR would have sunk or left a lot of lumpy,muddy lawns. It rained again tonight, I doubt the lawns we have on tomorrows schedule will be mow-able at all.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta love this. Starting my 20th year this July. This seperates the real lawn pros from the weekend mow and blows.
This has really got to tick off the used to be office dwellers that lost their jobs.
It ticks me off to no end that just because someone lost a job that everyone thinks they can mow lawns.

Ah back to the subject at hand here. To the guy from SC. Some cant just snap their fingers and have to hire someone. Maybe he does not have the capital. It also takes time to train.
I myself would rather be behind than have some do a crappy job and also be behind.
Its bad enough the customer saw you working in the rain.
Customers are stupid too. I get back to the office at 7pm saturday evening and there was a phone call asking me why Im 2 days late?
Why did he call? Because it was all clear and sunny saturday and they all have a memory span of an elephant and it makes me wonder how they live in such nice houses?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Gotta love this. Starting my 20th year this July. This seperates the real lawn pros from the weekend mow and blows.
This has really got to tick off the used to be office dwellers that lost their jobs.
It ticks me off to no end that just because someone lost a job that everyone thinks they can mow lawns.

Ah back to the subject at hand here. To the guy from SC. Some cant just snap their fingers and have to hire someone. Maybe he does not have the capital. It also takes time to train.
I myself would rather be behind than have some do a crappy job and also be behind.
Customers are stupid too. I get back to the office at 7pm saturday evening and there was a phone call asking me why Im 2 days late?
Why did he call? Because it was all clear and sunny saturday and they all have a memory span of an elephant and it makes me wonder how they live in such nice houses?
Unless they owe you money

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post

And we still have to kiss butt and tell them I'm sorry but I got behind because of this and that. I will take care of it sir. Sorry about that. LOL.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"And we still have to kiss butt and tell them I'm sorry but I got behind because of this and that. I will take care of it sir. Sorry about that. LOL." Sometimes, the old employee adage slow to hire and quick to fire works for customers as well as employees.