Register free!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

failing 1812's

I'm servicing a commercial system that is about four to five years old. Since it was first installed I've had to repair blow outs under 1812's, due I think, to using the wrong glue. This company uses the thick wall flex pipe for all their heads, the kind that is fitting sized and solvent welded. Their joints just don't stay together so I'm into a double digit count for repairs. This year however a new problem has surfaced. I'll see a blow out and think ok, another failed joint, but after digging it up I find the body of the 1812 has split (vertical). I pulled out three in one day and they were all split in the same place. Not on the casting line but right above the side inlet towards the top. All were split the same with one split top to bottom through the side inlet. These were all fed from the bottom so the side inlet shouldn't have been disturbed from the factory torque. Anybody else run into this? Plus the flex pipe deal they should be using a 795 or similar I think. Personally I don't use the glue in flex pipe on repairs because I normally don't have time to let it set up. The most recent install I've come into contact with had the thin wall pipe with barbed fittings for their high pops. So far only a hand full of those connections have come apart.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's the operating pressure?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure would like to see a pic. You don't freeze down there, so that's out. When you say "flex pipe", are you talking about "funny pipe". That's gotta be some kind of crazy pressure to blow those bodies.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen them fail... mostly from high pressure. Like Boots said.... what's the operating pressure?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Sure would like to see a pic. You don't freeze down there, so that's out. When you say "flex pipe", are you talking about "funny pipe". That's gotta be some kind of crazy pressure to blow those bodies.
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. The pipe is not funny pipe I think it's called abs. Very think wall and the OD is standard fitting size. I'll have to recheck the pressure, but I think it's under a hundred. They didn't start to split at the body until this year, so that's four or five from new. It's possible that the pressure has increased and that is pushing them over the edge I'll try to check it soon.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"dum da dum dum". That's a lot of pressure, even for me. I'd be thinking of a PRS 1812 and maybe even a PRV.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
"dum da dum dum". That's a lot of pressure, even for me. I'd be thinking of a PRS 1812 and maybe even a PRV.
Pressure regulator on the whole system. That's the only way to keep the bodies from cracking. The PRS stem will keep the high pressure misting in check but it won't do anything to help save the bodies.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Pressure regulator on the whole system. That's the only way to keep the bodies from cracking. The PRS stem will keep the high pressure misting in check but it won't do anything to help save the bodies.

Totally agreed..I saw this 3 years ago in a large commercial...Reducers worked great.

The only set back on this if you have some long long mains>laterals you will notice a severe drop with psi on the last few heads on the line....

In my case it was about 2 football fields away 2" pvc..Last 6 heads were operating @ 1/2 radius
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've run 1800s with PRS @ 90 psi and have had no issues. Come to think of it, they were SAM heads, as well, so there was no surge on valve opening.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I go to the POC before changing out all the heads.