Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Drill Bulb Auger Through Landscape Fabric?

Hi. I have a quick question. Has anyone ever tried using a drill bulb auger through Typar landscape fabric? A customer of mine wants a bunch of Gladiola bulbs installed and there is landscape fabric installed in the bed that needs to remain. The fabric is pinned down pretty well. I'm thinking it should work and be a lot easier than having to cut slits in the fabric.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Best case scenario, you will have ragged holes with the augured soil cast everywhere. Worst case, the fabric will become entangled in the auger. Take the time and cut the cross-slits.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I would worry about it grabbing.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

But my utility knife blade is dull and I can't afford a new one.....

But ok...yeah probably not a good idea.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Sponsor

You can't afford a new single blade to cut thru the fabric?. You need to get an advance from your customer and cut out the material for the bulbs. No excuses.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gladiola bulbs look better if installed in groups or clumps, so I would just take a knife and cut about a 4-6 square foot section and plant about 6-10 bulbs in each section. Then lightly cover back over with the rock you moved out of the way when your done.

If I'm being a stickler, I'll take a 5gal bucket lid, or anything in the shape I'm trying to cut and use it as a guide to cut the fabric. It makes it easier by keeping the fabric in place and tight so the cuts go smoother.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
You can't afford a new single blade to cut thru the fabric?. You need to get an advance from your customer and cut out the material for the bulbs. No excuses.
easy-lift guy
I think he was kidding.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Gladiola bulbs look better if installed in groups or clumps, so I would just take a knife and cut about a 4-6 square foot section and plant about 6-10 bulbs in each section. Then lightly cover back over with the rock you moved out of the way when your done.

If I'm being a stickler, I'll take a 5gal bucket lid, or anything in the shape I'm trying to cut and use it as a guide to cut the fabric. It makes it easier by keeping the fabric in place and tight so the cuts go smoother.

Truly the better idea, design-wise, though you will be sacrificing the weed protection in the cut out area. Can't have everything!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I was kidding about the knife blade...

Ok, here's the deal. This is a rush job I snuck in for a long-time customer. He wants it as a memorial for his wife who recently passed away. There was a bed located in this spot that had some roses and Yucca and Creeping Myrtle ground cover in it but it became overgrown with all sorts of crap. I literally had to dig it with a Mattock and axe...almost hauled my tractor out there with the backhoe...it was that bad. It took me about 8 hours of heavy labor to prep the area which is only about 10 x 15 feet. We decided that we had better put some fabric down...I've dealt with Creeping Myrtle before and it's not easy to get rid of. A friend of mine who is a Master Gardener is actually going to do the planting and then tend the garden once it's installed...the homeowner is in his 80s and can't even get to the area let alone tend it. His daughter and grandson were going to do it they both came down with some kind of virus or something. What we plan to do is to keep the fabric in place and intact as much as possible until next year when we'll either cut some or all of it out after it (hopefully) smothers anything that's in there that I didn't get fully ripped out. I hate fabric and only use it when I feel it's absolutely necessary. I doubt that the Glads and Dahlias are going to thrive at first due to root masses that remain...getting kind of late to plant now too...did I mention it's at the base of a giant Norway Maple stump...the tree was just cut down last fall after suffering severe damage from Hurricane Irene. It's less than an ideal planting bed at this point but the customer is aware of that...it should improve over time as things rot...at least it gets full sun and is in easy reach of a garden hose. This bed wasn't my idea...just trying to do what the customer wants.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I think he was kidding.

I hope so.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device