Register free!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Taken right after completion. It had been sunny and windy. Sod been down a week and started rooting. Irrigation cut back on now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So it's been 2 week since installation. Any advice or next steps? Everything has rooted nicely and I'm keeping it watered despite getting no rain.

Just a waiting game now. Did starter Fert at installation and want to wait 2 more weeks before hitting it again. Will spray some primo at that time also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Subscribe..........
Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno what else I can say particularly without pictures.

Lately, I have been using some superthrive with my Primo for the double benefit of rooting. Some states have it listed as an un-registered Rooting Hormone.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like a pretty fun project. If it were my lawn I'd be aerating it every other day and watering it every single day. Good news is that if there's a fungus you can localize it pretty easily to a few inches.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWN View Post
Looks like a pretty fun project. If it were my lawn I'd be aerating it every other day and watering it every single day. Good news is that if there's a fungus you can localize it pretty easily to a few inches.
Why aerate every other day? That doesnt make sense to me but please, tell me why....
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's going to do well grassmaster...look forward to more pictures later in the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerating breaks it down the same way working out breaks down muscles. Once they are broken, they grow back stronger. You want to give the sod a workout. Yeah every other day may be a bit much but with high temps and plenty of water, it's growing pretty quickly. I'd def cut every day though.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWN View Post
Aerating breaks it down the same way working out breaks down muscles. Once they are broken, they grow back stronger. You want to give the sod a workout. Yeah every other day may be a bit much but with high temps and plenty of water, it's growing pretty quickly. I'd def cut every day though.
I think you would end up destroying the sod, having it tangle in the aerator tines and ruin the lawn. I wouldn't aerate a lawn more than about 4 times in one season...

And if cutting with a rotary I doubt you could cut every day..everyday cutting is required on Bermuda in the .5" or lower height. I cut mine Saturday and again yesterday...not even 24 full hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree that a rotary would not be the way to go but for this kinda project I'd guess he'd go reel. When I laid sod on my own property I aerated it twice a week for the entire growing season. Bermuda is a beast, it can take it. Obviously I could not turn on the sod and until it was established which took a few weeks I kept pulling the pieces up but aeration is where it's at. I offer a discount to my customers that get more than one aeration with our program per year and currently about half are on that plan. I look at this situation and see also that if you punch holes all around, when it rains it's gonna be thousands of little cups of water the roots are going to head in the direction of.