Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
The common will stress out and the lower growing hybrid will be at the advantage. There is a reason why I have not seen common used on greens or in tee boxes.
Yes, mainly because it looks like crap!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It does not survive being cut that low all the time. I find that the sweet spot for common is between 3/4"-1. Lower than 3/4", it looks bad, lower than 1/2" is stressing it. Especially if you reduce the N and do not cut as often.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
It does not survive being cut that low all the time. I find that the sweet spot for common is between 3/4"-1. Lower than 3/4", it looks bad, lower than 1/2" is stressing it. Especially if you reduce the N and do not cut as often.
That was my point about right care. set your program to the advantage of the turf you want to keep and it should take over.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So its been 5 weeks. 95% of the sod squares are green and spreading nice. I'm seeing runners 1+ft long and squares that were closer together are starting to touch. I've been fertilizing at low rates about every 10 days and mowing it twice a week.

I've started to pull smaller plugs from the squares. This cores are about 1.5-2 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep. They are taking hold nice. I am noticing some of the squares pulling up from the middle when I remove the cores, but this doesn't cause the squares to brown or die.

I'm thinking I could aerate the lawn and then use my ztr to smash the plugs into the ground in an effort to help spread. I'm nervous that this may pull the sod up. I may give it another couple of weeks.

I'm planning of the growing season lasting until the end of August and don't want to do anything after that so that what has been done can root before fall. Not sure if it will fill in by the end of the year, but it might be close!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is going to take a while longer to get good roots. I see no good reason to aerate.

Better off buying a few squares, running them through a wood chipper and spreading those in the bare spots.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea on the wood chipper...never thought of that one! Too bad I don't have a chipper!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shredding grass then putting it on the areas you want it to grow is called stolonizing. Warning: You will need to water those areas 4-6 times a day or the stolons will dry up and die. However, if you water more than what is needed to keep the top damp and it turns into a lake, the stolons rot. Lots of people establish lawns using this method in Hawaii because sod is $$$$$$$$$$$. They often end up buying more sod to plug the areas that the stolons failed to grow or they wait up to 6 months for the grass to fill in.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind my statement was made in relation to trying to core aerate and use the plugs to stolonize the fill in area.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Keep in mind my statement was made in relation to trying to core aerate and use the plugs to stolonize the fill in area.
Don't think that would work well, better chance at soliciting plant and creating a new individual plant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So it has been about 6 weeks. I am attaching a pic taken on 7/20/12. This is one of the better sections in the lawn. Some are doing just like this and some are doing worse. This heat and drought are killing me.

Was thinking about taking a shovel and cutting some of the runners in hopes they will split off? Not sure if they are rooted good enough yet?

I need to do some edging of the drive and walk. I think I can take the runners I cut off, cut a slit in the ground and then plant part in the slit???

I'm also wondering about primo again. Our growing season will end somewhere around mid-late september. What do you think about spraying primo somewhere around mid august? Would this help to fill out the runners any?

Other than that mowing twice a week, watering, and fertilizing!
Attached Images