Register free!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Why wont it? I have been keeping it cut and it looks like a good turf grass. Maybe I am asking the wrong question. Why is it not a good turf grass?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
Why wont it? I have been keeping it cut and it looks like a good turf grass. Maybe I am asking the wrong question. Why is it not a good turf grass?
I am not sure what it is. Dig some up and let us get a good look at the roots / rhizome.

The leaf stucture looks too tight to me to be torpedo grass but I am not an expert in this area.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I am not sure what it is. Dig some up and let us get a good look at the roots / rhizome.

The leaf stucture looks too tight to me to be torpedo grass but I am not an expert in this area.
It is 100% torpedo grass. Randy, if it's filling in areas in your weedy lawn and you are happy with that, that's great. It's a weed that literally grows in water. If you ever decide to put sod in it will be very hard to eradicate it. I would think a few apps of gly mixed with fusilade would help, but don't know if it would come back. Ric would need to chime in on that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

That is torpedo grass and my back yard of centipede is being destroyed by it. It grows about 5 times as fast as centipede. I have been told to move if I don't want it.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post

If you are happy with it, go for it.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is this the same stuff that gets wiry and just tears when you try to cut it when it gets thick and takes over? Or is that something else altogether? The stuff I am talking about grows like crazy once the rain comes and nighttime temps stay up in the 70's. I don't think it would cut clean with scissors. A nastier grassy weed I have never seen. With a mulching kit on it sounds like you are mulching rocks.

Last edited by Keith; 06-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
It is 100% torpedo grass. Randy, if it's filling in areas in your weedy lawn and you are happy with that, that's great. It's a weed that literally grows in water. If you ever decide to put sod in it will be very hard to eradicate it. I would think a few apps of gly mixed with fusilade would help, but don't know if it would come back. Ric would need to chime in on that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Torpedo grass is an exotic grass from South America. It is a very common weed in Aquatic areas where it grows quite well due to a lot of Mositure. Glyphosate alone with control Torpedo grass.

Torpedo Grass appears to be resistant to insects and fungus. It is also resistant to most but not all Selective Herbicide. It can be kept weed free as a lawn. (BTW I can selectively Kill Torpedo Grass in St Augustine) Torpedo Grass also grows well with little or no fertilizer.

So Why Isn't Torpedo Grass an Ideal Lawn Turf??? Torpedo Grass is extremely Fiberous and does not mulch very well. In the rainy season it will ball up and lay on top of good grass and kill it. Even side discharge leaves piles of Grass. Bag Torpedo Grass and it is as nice a lawn without much care.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If this is the stuff I am thinking it is, I rented a house back in the mid-90's that had it in about 200 sq ft section of otherwise nice SA. I mowed the lawn myself and started fertilizing it. The guy who owned the house asked if I ever had some spare sod to go ahead and kill that area and replace it and he would pay me. Instead I bought a bottle of Image and sprayed it. Once did next to nothing. A second dose two weeks later made a significant change. A third spraying two weeks after that finished it off. It never came back while I was living there. When I moved out the owner thanked me for resodding it and tried to pay for the grass. He had lived in the house up until he rented it to me and said it had been there for 5+ years and could never get rid of it.

Maybe this isn't the same thing, but from what Ric describes it sounds like it might be. I run across it from time to time now and no one seems concerned with trying to eradicate it.

Last edited by Keith; 06-10-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Sethoxydim. Make sure torpedo stays clear of plant beds.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBrad View Post
Sethoxydim. Make sure torpedo stays clear of plant beds.
Yep selective control of Torpedo grass is easy in Bermuda and most Cool Season turfs. But Sethoxydim will smoke St Augustine.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.