Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 AM
johnwright238's Avatar
johnwright238 johnwright238 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 226
who bags commercial jobs

I have never seen commercial lawn care guys bagging but after being active on Lawnsite for just a couple of months I gather it happens. I get inquiries about baggers and side dis-charge options on my remote control lawn mowers from time to time and am entertaining the idea of a little R&D on bagging units to show off at the GIE EXPO coming up in October.

What do you guys look for in a bagger?
Are the pull behind lawn sweepers better or just as good?
Do most of you guys have certain jobs that require bagging?

Any input would be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2012, 12:19 AM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwright238 View Post
I have never seen commercial lawn care guys bagging but after being active on Lawnsite for just a couple of months I gather it happens. I get inquiries about baggers and side dis-charge options on my remote control lawn mowers from time to time and am entertaining the idea of a little R&D on bagging units to show off at the GIE EXPO coming up in October.

What do you guys look for in a bagger?
Are the pull behind lawn sweepers better or just as good?
Do most of you guys have certain jobs that require bagging?

Any input would be highly appreciated!

In terms of commercial work. I have one I bag cause of the amount of trash and one cause of the pedestrian traffic. IMO accelerator catchers work great far as detachable catchers go. Capacity is huge for me, dumping every pass sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 AM
93Chevy's Avatar
93Chevy 93Chevy is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,128
Each of our crews is equipped with a Turf Tracer with a mulch kit...eliminates the need for bagging. Bagging takes too much time. It's good in the fall for the leaves, but the rest of the year, mulching is the way to go.
__________________
"Please report all incidents of vomitus and fecal contamination to management immediately"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 AM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
In terms of commercial work. I have one I bag cause of the amount of trash and one cause of the pedestrian traffic. IMO accelerator catchers work great far as detachable catchers go. Capacity is huge for me, dumping every pass sucks.
We're contemplating a similar setup for mowing we do on commercial lots that are part of full grounds maintenance.

As of right now, we are going to try a stihl handheld blower/vac to pick up any small noticeable debris after mowing. I'm thinking it will save time over using grabber sticks to pick up garbage, but still not bog us down with grass clippings.

....
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:02 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,704
our largest is about 12 acres I couldn't imagine it.... it's not a pristine place, just a mining parts manufacturer with 3 larges buildings on a campus with converted cow pastures all around and in-between.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
our largest is about 12 acres I couldn't imagine it.... it's not a pristine place, just a mining parts manufacturer with 3 larges buildings on a campus with converted cow pastures all around and in-between.
That would be rough then to try and suck up debris. I'd definitively be mulching first.

Our commercials are smaller and more noticeable, so our method might work out with no problems.

...
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwright238 View Post
I have never seen commercial lawn care guys bagging but after being active on Lawnsite for just a couple of months I gather it happens. I get inquiries about baggers and side dis-charge options on my remote control lawn mowers from time to time and am entertaining the idea of a little R&D on bagging units to show off at the GIE EXPO coming up in October.

What do you guys look for in a bagger?
Are the pull behind lawn sweepers better or just as good?
Do most of you guys have certain jobs that require bagging?

Any input would be highly appreciated!
Some type of indicator to when the hopper is full (Walker uses a beeper)

a good impeller system if the hopper is located somewhere other than beside the discharge chute.

Commercial lots, and most residential expect bagging in my area.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That would be rough then to try and suck up debris. I'd definitively be mulching first.

Our commercials are smaller and more noticeable, so our method might work out with no problems.

...
we try to mulch it up within 50' of the buildings just to keep it looking decent, anything beyond that is just discharge and thank goodness the exmarks have a decent throw distance.

Luckily, we don't really have any "high end" commercial, one is a national chain, a couple regional grocers and a few in the mining/construction side.

I've noticed locally that no one really does much bagging on commercial jobs unless they are with 21" push mowers, most of those are in the fast food establishments too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baggers , bagging , side discharge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.07796 seconds with 7 queries