Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Curious on feedback here. Can't I dig a trench 12 feet out from the house sloped, put down landscape fabric fill it w a couple inches of rock, lay a perforated PVC and cover w gravel. Then at the end of the trench Dig like a 3 ft dry well with an overflow drain?
I don't have any issues w water in my walkout basement but want to get these downspouts away from my driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Drains for downspouts are called "tight lines", meaning they are water tight till they get to the end of the pipe. You don't want to put downspouts in perforated pipe. You can exit the downspouts into a Cistern and the water will collect their and then gradually seep into the ground. The size of the hole for the cistern requires you to figure how much water your roof collects, can be quite large, and having a basement I would be cautious. If you have slope from your house I you just let them surface 20 to 30ft away.
Scott
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
Curious on feedback here. Can't I dig a trench 12 feet out from the house sloped, put down landscape fabric fill it w a couple inches of rock, lay a perforated PVC and cover w gravel. Then at the end of the trench Dig like a 3 ft dry well with an overflow drain?
I don't have any issues w water in my walkout basement but want to get these downspouts away from my driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device
NDS Pop-Up drains are really what you need.

Here is a few photos for you.

In this image, one pipe is for the downspout and the other is for the perforated pipe behind a retaining wall.

This one is of just a standard Pop-Up Drain on a downspout.

This is of a catch basin I installed where all 4 downspouts in the back run to this point. Yes, the basin is undersized, but the whole idea was to just slow the water down to keep from having erosion issues at my exit point.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

End with a pop up emitter at lowest elevation. Set the top of the emitter level with the soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
Here's a question? What do you do with the end of the PVC drain pipe? Do you bring it back up to the surface with a drain installed at ground level? Or do you dig a hole at the end of the trench, fill it with and leave the end of the PVC under ground at this hole. if you leave it under ground I assume you have to somehow keep the critters out?

25 years old 7 years in business ownership