Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im finally about to order my enclosed trailer.. need a few opinions

I am about to have a custom enclosed trailer built and I need some opinions about a couple things.

It is going to have the dual 5200 lb axles, springs not torsion, gray screwless exterior, two interior lights, two roof vents, LED Taillights, 16" on center TUBE wall and roof framing, door holdback on side door, four recessed d-rings, and the rear ramp.

I originally was going to get an 8.5x16/18. 16 feet with a two foot V.

But now I am thinking I might get an 8.5x18/20. 18 with a 2 foot v. I want the extra space to be able to get a third big mower on it but I am not sure if i want the extra length for the places I sometimes travel. especially since sometimes i travel around with only one of the ztrs..

Questions-

1. would an 8.5x18/20 be the overall same length as an 18' flat nose? just with the V taking up more of the tongue space?

2. Would you recommend a 16 or 18? Right now I can easily get away with the 16' because I travel with a 52" ztr and a 48" walkbehind and a push mower, but I am thinking I will grow into the 18'. I plan on getting a gravely 460 and I think my lazer z hp, 460, and walkbehind will fit in the 18 but not the 16.. I have also read a very common answer on this site about what size trailer to get, "get the biggest size your truck can tow"... hmm that means i should be getting a 40' enclosed three axle gooseneck trailer with my diesels haha

3. This is the biggest most important question I have to ask, out of everyone who has the enclosed trailer, how many have the extended tongue? I didnt plan on getting this but after extensive searching on this site i have had some people say it is not needed, and then some people say it absolutely is.. I will be hauling this with a f350 dump and a pickup

I do have a few small driveways and tight areas to get into so that is why i originally wanted the 16' because its less weight to always haul around, less money to buy, and easier to manuever.

If i do get the 18 i will have a lot of extra space for the first couple seasons..

Sorry about yet another enclosed trailer post, I have been reading them for the past week with the search function and i still find new ones..

Thanks for the help
Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Sponsor

My first and only enclosed trailer was a Haulmark and it served my needs well with 50 accounts. Plenty of room for my two 21" Hondas and my Woods 60" ZTR and everything else. I went with a larger trailer because I was able to store everything inside at one time. My HMhad the duck tail which made for ease of loading everything as well. The first thing I did after I picked up the trailer was to blow the floor clean, and apply 3 gal.of polyurethane over the wooden floor. I gave that 24 hours to cure and than I gave it 2 coats of a premium exterior grade paint. The floor was still 100% in tact after 10 years of use and the Second owner was shocked it was that way, when he bought it from me.
I did not get an extended toung for my trailer and I too pulled my trailer with a F-350 dullie dump truck. I did have a 16' trailer before my 20' HM, out grew that in Two years.
No regret with a longer trailer since your future rig pretty much seem like my rig once upon a time. Give yourself extra breaking distance, always check all of your running lights before you head out, try to stay out of the left lane, give your self extra room or making turns. Practice backing up somewhere out of the way when ever you get a cance, it ones in handy!. Keep us posted. All te best
easy-lift guy
Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Easylift guy much appreciated. without the extended tougue did you have propblems with turning all the way going forward and it hitting?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
Thanks Easylift guy much appreciated. without the extended tougue did you have propblems with turning all the way going forward and it hitting?
Posted via Mobile Device
No I did not. I took my time and learned to use my mirrors and turn singles always. For me it just took practice and patience.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-10-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i know what you mean i definately know how to use my mirrors, i put on more miles each year with trailers hooked up to my trucks than miles without a trailer. all with no view in the back from the dump so i only use mirrors. trailer size range from 10' to 24'. 6 different trailers.. so my question was how much clearance there is between trailer and dump body while in full turn going forward.. if it doesnt hit then then i am fine with it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i ordered basically the same trailer as you but 8.5x24 and flat front. we put a 30" deep workbench at the front and are able to get a scag prov 48" walkbehind, scag 61" tiger and walker 48" mtl in the trailer along with 3 21" push mowers at the front side of the trailer. definitely get the bigger trailer. i was originally going to get a 20" but once i stepped inside i knew i need the 24. we also got the 5200# torsion axles, extended tongue, screwless two tone exterior, 2 vents, 2 led interior lights, white ceiling, 3/8" ply sides with the 3/4" advantech floor, all led exterior lighting.

def get the extended tongue if towing with a dump truck. we love this trailer and use it when we go fourwheeling as well. we paid right about 8k out the door. here are some pics:

Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Sponsor

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Sponsor

Looks like marine grade plywood for the floor?, did you ever seal coat or paint the floor??
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do like the setup on that enclosed trailer, it looks very efficient.

Easy-lift Guy, I was actually already planning on treating the floors like you stated, that is an excellent idea. I was actually thinking about just using the polyurethane, do you think the paint also helped a lot or would just that be good enough?

Does anyone know if an 18' flat front is the overall same length as an 18 with a two foot v?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I do like the setup on that enclosed trailer, it looks very efficient.

Easy-lift Guy, I was actually already planning on treating the floors like you stated, that is an excellent idea. I was actually thinking about just using the polyurethane, do you think the paint also helped a lot or would just that be good enough?

Does anyone know if an 18' flat front is the overall same length as an 18 with a two foot v?
Yes I would do both again. There were times when the paint was scratched and gouged but the floor was never compromised. I look forward to the finished job on the trailer. All the best.
easy-lift guy