Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Neglected lawn need help

I inherited this lawn from family. It appears to be bermuda with weeds and other grasses. I live in western Kentucky and we have had a bit of a drought. Roughtly 10 inches behind in rain for April and May. I had been mowing the lawn tall until I was reading the thread on here about bermuda density. I starting mowing it lower this past week with my zero turn mower. Been mowing roughly 3 times a week. Plan on getting a good push mower for this portion. I put on so slow release nitrogen today. I am thinking I need to dethatch. For some reason doesn't look like all of the bermuda is green. Like the blades of grass (newb here so probably wrong term) but stem is brown.

I also have a spot with a different type of grass (have no idea what it is). I know when it gets hot and lack of rain it turns brown. For some reason doesn't appear the bermuda wants to take it over. I am hoping if I get the bermuda thriving it will choke out the other grass and unwanted items. I really want to try and get the lawn looking nice and plush. Its probably 125 ft X 100 ft area. Suggestions???

I would like to over seed with a good quality bermuda seed. When is the best time for over seeding bermuda???
Old 06-15-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone???
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump.....maybe one of the pros will chime in.

In the mean time.......the 1st thing I would do is have a soil test done. When you mow bermuda you only want to cut off the top 1/3rd of the blade or you expose the root. Bermuda likes to be fed....I fertilize mine once a month with 32-3-8. If you are going to seed bermuda do it now & fertilize it so the roots will have a chance to get established before it goes dormant in the fall. Scott
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmm...wonder if I am cutting too short then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigation would help tremendously.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the lack of water the problem with the Bermuda? We are in a drought and being on a well I am reluctant to water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antv20 View Post
Hmmm...wonder if I am cutting too short then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably not. What usually happens is it gets too long and looks stringy. It should be cut at 2" or less. A rotary mower usually won't cut less than 2" and I doubt the ground is perfectly flat. So when you do cut it down to proper height all the green gets cut out. Once a week irrigation is fine. A small dose of fert with the irrigation is better. Bermuda rebounds quickly and will choke out most of the weeds. Avoid the weed n feeds. Think low dose like Milorganite.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Probably not. What usually happens is it gets too long and looks stringy. It should be cut at 2" or less. A rotary mower usually won't cut less than 2" and I doubt the ground is perfectly flat. So when you do cut it down to proper height all the green gets cut out. Once a week irrigation is fine. A small dose of fert with the irrigation is better. Bermuda rebounds quickly and will choke out most of the weeds. Avoid the weed n feeds. Think low dose like Milorganite.
Posted via Mobile Device
Let me see if I understand you correctly. I was cutting it tall, but then was reading Bermuda should be cut short. So starting cutting short and by doing so I cut a lot of the green out?

I dethatched and that seemed to help get a lot of the old clippings out.

Any thoughts on the spot where I cannot seem to get the bermuda to spread. It is a cool season grass (whatever it is). Thought about adding some sand to that area to help get the bermuda to spread.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kill the area off with roundup. You can spread the seed and little compost or soil on the same day. Maintaining the Bermuda short is best for it. Both in appearence and health. You can't grow it long thinking it will help with drought tolerance. Doesn't work that way. Some high end Bermuda gets cut 3X a week in season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been mowing 2 to 3 times a week for the past few weeks. Even with very little rain, it seems to have helped it quite a bit.

Is it too late in the season to seed with bermuda??