Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Briggs Vanguard problem

I installed a new 20hp briggs vanguard on my old scag hydro walk behind this year. I notices when I first started running the engine that when you engage the blades to cut if you increase the throttle fast at all it sputters. Whell yesterday I was going over the mower, and checked the filter to notice that inside the filter casing the wing nut that hold the filter tight had came loose, and was just sitting in there. So obviously I screwed it back on and put the filter casing back on. When I went to run the machine this morning it was sputtering almost full time. The filter doesnt even look that dirty, but for some reason the dam thing wont run right at all with the filter secured tightly. Its like it is choking the engine, wich doesnt seem hard to do. It has always ran smooth once you reach full throttle, but I imagine that was with the filter loose, because it wont with the filter secured. So I am gonna get a new filter, and look at the plugs. But this is my last Briggs, i knew there was a reason they were cheaper. Never had any issues with the Kawasakis.

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody had any similar issues, it sputters with a hint of black smoke. Less then 100 hrs on the engine.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The vanguards are great engines, never seen a negative post on here till yours. Check the basics, fuel, fuel filter, spark, then spark plugs and the air filter like you said. Give us an update when you get it figured out.

I have a 30HP vanguard and it's been real good so far.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

take the cleaner off and check to make sure your choke is opening all the way. sounds like your choke is partially closed
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It does sound like the choke is out of adjustment. Black smoke is a rich condition.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, it sounds like the choke to me as well, and since you said you replaced the engine, maybe the choke cable isn't secured in the correct position to allow it to fully open and close properly.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It's hooked up backwards.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The choke is correct, and the cable is secure. I am gonna replace the plugs, and filter. Maybe the filter is ruined from when they shipped it, I noticed alot of oil saturated in the filter and sponge filter thing around it after being shipped. Probably where they maybe had the box positioned wrong, on it side or upside down or something. Maybe it just cant breath through that filter. Is there a way to install one of the better cannister style filters you see on the Kawasakis, or zero turn riders. Where and how would I get one.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybow View Post
The choke is correct, and the cable is secure. I am gonna replace the plugs, and filter. Maybe the filter is ruined from when they shipped it, I noticed alot of oil saturated in the filter and sponge filter thing around it after being shipped. Probably where they maybe had the box positioned wrong, on it side or upside down or something. Maybe it just cant breath through that filter. Is there a way to install one of the better cannister style filters you see on the Kawasakis, or zero turn riders. Where and how would I get one.
I know there is a cannister kit made for at least some engines, because I just saw one either on here recently, or on CL here in MI, but I can't recall just where. It was within the last week though.
If the foam pre-cleaner and/or especially the paper element was oil soaked much at all, that will definately cause a choked condition, and it should also cause the engine to run rich at WOT and maybe puff a bit of black smoke at WOT as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jaybow, I'm sure you are aware of this, but a lean carb can also cause an engine to sputter while being put under a load, or while throttling up (but usually there's no smoke involved).

Good luck, Stan

PS. I'm like one of the other posters, Vanguards usually get very good ratings. I wouldn't let this little problem turn me against the Vanguards...probably just something very minor.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 06-07-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: clarity