Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
I'm going to call Stihl tomorrow and ask them...maybe you are both wrong? Maybe it stands for righteous?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:27 PM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,190
lol all i know is i have 2 fs80's not "R's" that i bought brand new many years ago and both of them have loop handles. They also had fs80's next to it with bike handles. so i could care less what people "think" they know. lol
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-12-2012, 09:31 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
I just emailed Stihl USA and asked what R designation means.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
lol all i know is i have 2 fs80's not "R's" that i bought brand new many years ago and both of them have loop handles. They also had fs80's next to it with bike handles. so i could care less what people "think" they know. lol
Yes sometimes they will sale Trimmers with out the R
Reason for that is overstock of Items When a new line is coming up They will use up all old parts But ser# will tell you its a R with No R plastic/stickers
I ask dealer he said seen alot of them
Dealer said if it has a R its loop handle it Dont it a Bike handle model

So if that private message you sent me telling me Im wrong ok If it helps you sleep at nite ok Im wrong and are your right Ok
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Yes sometimes they will sale Trimmers with out the R
Reason for that is overstock of Items When a new line is coming up They will use up all old parts But ser# will tell you its a R with No R plastic/stickers
I ask dealer he said seen alot of them
Dealer said if it has a R its loop handle it Dont it a Bike handle model
Keep reaching
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,019
Anyone that has taken a Stihl in for repair knows what S T I H L stands for...
Sorry Trimmer Is a Hopeless Loss......
Time to buy a new one......
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
rlitman rlitman is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Spoiler alert.............. Its me
Spoiler alert. It isn't.
Here's a link to the manual for the FS 80, FS 80 R, FS 85, FS 85 R, and FS 85 RX.
http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_owners..._85_manual.pdf

Now stop being such a smarta$$, and forget about the stickers on your machine. The R is the loop handle, and no R is the bicycle handle.
Both have the same engine. The FS model is a string trimmer. The FC model is a stick edger. Also the same engine. The stickers (to show how the machine was originally configured at the time of the sale), can easily be misapplied.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
THEGOLDPRO's Avatar
THEGOLDPRO THEGOLDPRO is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CONNECTICUT
Posts: 5,190
Lol................
__________________
Official THEGOLDPRO fan club.HERE
2012 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2011 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Gilmore.Landscaping's Avatar
Gilmore.Landscaping Gilmore.Landscaping is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Spoiler alert. It isn't.
Here's a link to the manual for the FS 80, FS 80 R, FS 85, FS 85 R, and FS 85 RX.
http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_owners..._85_manual.pdf

Now stop being such a smarta$$, and forget about the stickers on your machine. The R is the loop handle, and no R is the bicycle handle.
Both have the same engine. The FS model is a string trimmer. The FC model is a stick edger. Also the same engine. The stickers (to show how the machine was originally configured at the time of the sale), can easily be misapplied.
Thank you!!! I saw that manual but I wasn't about to look through 100+ pages hoping it was in there somewhere.

And good to see you can laugh at yourself Goldpro
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 AM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
From Stihl:


Hello Chris.
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
The "R" means these units are equipped with a "loop" style handle. Straight shaft trimmers without the R have a "bike style" handlebar.
I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Mark O’Briant
STIHL Inc. Technical Advisor
__________________
Georgia Applicator License Number 09102

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.08359 seconds with 8 queries