Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Bermuda Grass...is it too late?

New guy here from Lexington, SC. Wasn't sure if you HAD to own or work for a landscape company to view this site or its forum, so I figured i'd sign up and see who yells at me.

Live in Lexington, SC and just built a house in Lexington. Lawn is HORRIBLE! It died before we even moved in (well, most of it died). SO....they decided to fertilize it a month ago...no help. In some spots, the weeds are crazy. Looks like crabgrass and some type of vine weed (swear it looks like a watermelon will be growing soon!) and some other week with red flowers or buds or something on it.

Is it too late to kill these weeds? I have bermuda grass by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, it's not too late to kill weed's in bermuda.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

What I think I have is crabgrass, some nutsedge and something else. I cannot find any crabgrass killer on the shelves at any stores.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

You could try to dig or pull them out to,
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I could, but there are so many, it may take a while. I've started pulling some, but when I looked at the lawn as a whole, there were too many!

The builder barely watered the grass when they laid the sod and the sod stayed on the pallet for at least a week before they put it down! I told them about it several times, but all they want to do is fertilize it and "see what it does." Will fertalizing bring back dead grass? I know it's dead because I can pull up the peice of sod and it hasn't rooted yet.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizing dead grass gets you well fed weeds and waste money. Selectives to kill the weeds,then overseeding with starter fert will bring more grass in if its done within the right temps and watered.

How long has it been down?

Pics of your "watermelon" weeds could get them Identified so you can get one product for killing everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll get some pictures tonight when I get home.

Fertilizing the lawn with all those weeds is exactly what I asked them when I mentioned feeding the grass and weeds.

The grass has been down for almost 3 months. They put it down a month before we moved in and it was dead before we moved in. They said they would replace the dead spots, but they are trying things here and there to "get the grass to grow back".
Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing I would do would be to get a soil test so you know what you are dealing with. Once you find out what kind of shape your soil is in, you can then ammend it with what it needs.

As for the weeds, your bermuda is going to go into dormancy pretty soon. I go out in February & spray anything that's green with a 2% solution of gly and then follow up with a pre in March.