Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Employee pocketing cash?

How would you handle this? Of course the opportunity is there...especially during the blowout season. Neighbor comes up with cash while your tech is at a scheduled stop. Nobody will know, right?

Customer calls the office for service work...they are not in your client base. New customer, right? Wrong...

"I have a zone that won't shut down". Can you send someone out to fix the problem?"

Sure...who am I talking with?

"**** ****** @ 1234 Main street."

Can't find them in the computer

Are you sure we've been to your house before?

"Yes. **** has been blowing out my system. I'm ******'s neighbor."

They are not in the computer.

I give him the benefit doubt. Many times they will do "walk ups" as long as it doesn't put them off schedule. It's not unusual for them to turn in cash and/or checks with their daily logs. They are then added to our client base and sent a receipt of payment. This activity will always be documented on their logs...or should be.

Checking his log on the day he blew out all the neighbors, this "new customer" is not written down as being completed.

I have little doubt left as to what the truth is with this matter.

BTW ~ I'm talking about a 17 year employee here. Hard working man with valuable site and industry knowledge.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems some sort of "added customer" bonus or incentive might cut down on this sort of thing.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripit good View Post
How would you handle this? Of course the opportunity is there...especially during the blowout season. Neighbor comes up with cash while your tech is at a scheduled stop. Nobody will know, right?

Customer calls the office for service work...they are not in your client base. New customer, right? Wrong...

"I have a zone that won't shut down". Can you send someone out to fix the problem?"

Sure...who am I talking with?

"**** ****** @ 1234 Main street."

Can't find them in the computer

Are you sure we've been to your house before?

"Yes. **** has been blowing out my system. I'm ******'s neighbor."

They are not in the computer.

I give him the benefit doubt. Many times they will do "walk ups" as long as it doesn't put them off schedule. It's not unusual for them to turn in cash and/or checks with their daily logs. They are then added to our client base and sent a receipt of payment. This activity will always be documented on their logs...or should be.

Checking his log on the day he blew out all the neighbors, this "new customer" is not written down as being completed.

I have little doubt left as to what the truth is with this matter.

BTW ~ I'm talking about a 17 year employee here. Hard working man with valuable site and industry knowledge.
you are in a pickle my friend, if the issue was last year then it's tough to prove even if you know it's true.

if you spoke to the tech, explained that you have enough evidence to fire him and asked him what he would do in your boots, what do you think he'd say.

you can either drop him or put him on probation, 50/50 he's either done it before or he'll do it again.

best of luck on this
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
you are in a pickle my friend, if the issue was last year then it's tough to prove even if you know it's true.
Not too hard to prove.

I called the client back, nice older lady. I asked how she paid him. She says by check! I questioned this...."are you sure?" So she shuffles through her check book and tells me she made the check out directly to him!

I can't wrap my head around this. I can see the decision to put dead presidents in your pocket...but to have a walk up write a check out to you!!!!

WTF
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripit good View Post
Not too hard to prove.

I called the client back, nice older lady. I asked how she paid him. She says by check! I questioned this...."are you sure?" So she shuffles through her check book and tells me she made the check out directly to him!

I can't wrap my head around this. I can see the decision to put dead presidents in your pocket...but to have a walk up write a check out to you!!!!

WTF
that's just plain wrong, sorry pal, see ya!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Good evening
The question 1, Is the work you have scheduled for your employee being done in a timely manor? Q2. 17 years, he must be good, and if that is the case are you really going to fire him and start all over again. The fact of the matter is, your employee knows just as much as you do at this stage. The only reason he hasn't gone out on his own is cause he couldn't be bothered. If you do fire him you may have a rival that knows your customers and also knows what to charge.
Change his route, that is put him on with another crew, or you go out with him on calls. You "always" have to do spot checks on staff and customers. Customers need to know that you are the face of the company and "you" are not afraid to get your hands dirty too
How would I handle it? I would go to employee and say.. Ok I know you have being doing xy or z but it stops here and now. (more than likely he has a few, which supplements his income, and he may used to the "extra" income). Once he know his game is up, he may go with the flow or go after more of your contracts. I would be prepared for this. Be sure to ask your customers on a regular basis are they happy with "your company" send out letters telling them that as you are Blah Blah Blah which is so much better than a one man band. Getjobber has great software which we going to switch to ourselves. It may be something you should look into.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanum View Post
Good evening
The question 1, Is the work you have scheduled for your employee being done in a timely manor? Q2. 17 years, he must be good, and if that is the case are you really going to fire him and start all over again. The fact of the matter is, your employee knows just as much as you do at this stage. The only reason he hasn't gone out on his own is cause he couldn't be bothered. If you do fire him you may have a rival that knows your customers and also knows what to charge.
Change his route, that is put him on with another crew, or you go out with him on calls. You "always" have to do spot checks on staff and customers. Customers need to know that you are the face of the company and "you" are not afraid to get your hands dirty too
How would I handle it? I would go to employee and say.. Ok I know you have being doing xy or z but it stops here and now. (more than likely he has a few, which supplements his income, and he may used to the "extra" income). Once he know his game is up, he may go with the flow or go after more of your contracts. I would be prepared for this. Be sure to ask your customers on a regular basis are they happy with "your company" send out letters telling them that as you are Blah Blah Blah which is so much better than a one man band. Getjobber has great software which we going to switch to ourselves. It may be something you should look into.
Above post sounds reasonable, but...... This proves extreme dishonesty on the employees part. What else is he doing that youre not aware of? Is this really the type of person you want as an employee? Regardless of how long hes been with you?

And still not rich

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A thief is a thief. Whatever it costs to get rid of him, it's worth it.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I can tell you this for free, if a worker is good. More than likely he/she are doing a few jobs on the side anyway. You have to turn a blind eye, otherwise you will lose good staff. Once it doesn't interfere with my work day, schedule or potential customers its ok ish. Cause some jobs are just too small. That is just the nature of the business.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Sponsor

Gather all othe facts and have a meeting with him. If he admits to the theft after you have presented your facts to him, SACK HIM!, on the spot. If he denies the action after you have presented your facts, SACK HIM!!. Never tolerate theft with your business.
easy-lift guy