Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Hansen's Lawn Care Hansen's Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodbury, MN
Posts: 93
How to get your customers to sell for you

So I was at a property today, thinking of ways to get a customer to spread word of mouth for me, better yet, to sell my services for me. Obviously I know doing quality work often helps, but still some customers will not go out of their way to promote your services.

So...I was thinking about a particular customer of mine who is less than 1.5 miles from my house. My idea was to offer her free lawn mowing, every 10 days, and free snow removal if in return she could find me 2 new customers for me in her neighborhood.

I understand this concept wouldn't work for a large property, but a small residential that close to my house, I thought it'd be worth a try.

What do you guys think? Please give me your advice before I follow through with this thought. If it's a stupid idea, I can take the honesty. Thanks a lot...all ideas welcome.

Last edited by Hansen's Lawn Care; 06-12-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM
C Jovingo Landscaping C Jovingo Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
If I were you, I'd offer a free cut or 2 per new customer. If you do 1 free cut per new acct, she she may try & get you 3 or 4 new accounts a month to not have to pay for mowing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen's Lawn Care View Post
So I was at a property today, thinking of ways to get a customer to spread word of mouth for me, better yet, to sell my services for me. Obviously I know doing quality work often helps, but still some customers will not go out of their way to promote your services.

So...I was thinking about a particular customer of mine who is less than 1.5 miles from my house. My idea was to offer her free lawn mowing, every 10 days, and free snow removal if in return she could find me 2 new customers for me in her neighborhood.

I understand this concept wouldn't work for a large property, but a small residential that close to my house, I thought it'd be worth a try.

What do you guys think? Please give me your advice before I follow through with this thought. If it's a stupid idea, I can take the honesty. Thanks a lot...all ideas welcome.
I think if they get you two customers and those two customers do not stay with you for long, they have filled their end of the deal and you will be pushing snow for free.

My suggestion would be offer a % off of their lawn bill if they bring you a good client.
Be honest with your customers let them know in conversation that you are looking for new clients, saying something like " Mrs. Jones, I appreciate your business and really enjoy taking care of property for customers like you, you do not happen to know of anyone else like yourself that would be looking for lawn service do you?"
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 PM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,518
Be straight with with them and ask them to refer you. IMO the whole "incentive" approach seems D-baggy to me. If your work is better and people are asking who does the lawn then they are selling without doing it on purpose. I had a client tell me to leave a stack of cards cause hes tired of writing down my info so much. Bingo, the neighbors want what they don't have. Its all in the work. good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Dave does lawns Dave does lawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Be honest with your customers let them know in conversation that you are looking for new clients, saying something like " Mrs. Jones, I appreciate your business and really enjoy taking care of property for customers like you, you do not happen to know of anyone else like yourself that would be looking for lawn service do you?"
That is what I do.

I do not offer an incentive to refer me, but when someone does I certainly pay them when i mail my bill.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
C Jovingo Landscaping C Jovingo Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Be straight with with them and ask them to refer you. IMO the whole "incentive" approach seems D-baggy to me. If your work is better and people are asking who does the lawn then they are selling without doing it on purpose. I had a client tell me to leave a stack of cards cause hes tired of writing down my info so much. Bingo, the neighbors want what they don't have. Its all in the work. good luck.
Yeah makes you look a lil desperate. I tried this my first season & very quickly stopped cuz it felt D-baggy & didn't seem to work. They don't run out & try & sign up clients for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM
headz77's Avatar
headz77 headz77 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX, OR
Posts: 614
Some clients are the type who will, some just aren't. I mention in my correspondence with customers that, as a small company, we really appreciate referrals. When someone does refer I take some off the next invoice, the amount depends on how valuae the referral was.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
ben fritz ben fritz is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ocala,fl
Posts: 108
I picked three up by telling them i will give you $50 for every monthly account you get me, so its cost me $150 but i am up $400 a month
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,102
I have offered a free mow if a referral that resulted in a new weekly customer last year and this year. Have not done a free mow yet.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2012, 02:10 AM
dc240nt's Avatar
dc240nt dc240nt is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW MN
Posts: 80
Obviously, you have to make it worth their time. Lets see, a $50.00 incentive vs a free mow...? In some parts of the country those values maybe the same, but not around my neck of the woods. That $50.00 will get you more interest then a free mow. Many business experts recommend for small businesses to offer incentives to help growth. Its also another reason for your client to feel good about working with you. Reward them once in awhile and they may be loyal for many years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.09542 seconds with 7 queries